Trade in your Altoids tins,for carrying your mini-kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Big-Target,

You know you're a true bushcraft junkie when you buy something you don't want, dump it out and you're still happy with the packaging. I do have my limits though. I once spotted a great little tupperware type thing in a store. Wow, what a great container for a mini-kit! OK, it's filled with tampons, I'll pass... Mac

Pict said:
Big-Target,

You know you're a true bushcraft junkie when you buy something you don't want, dump it out and you're still happy with the packaging. I do have my limits though. I once spotted a great little tupperware type thing in a store. Wow, what a great container for a mini-kit! OK, it's filled with tampons, I'll pass... Mac

It's not that I don't like chocolate, I love Chocolate. But I cannot have any due to diabetes!!!! :cry:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
You did??? :shock: That must have been quite a long time ago eh? :?:

yeah, it was a few, years? back. :?:

baccy tins are a real classic too.

i often keep mini kits in the string bags that come with washing tablets, gives you something to put the excess in after you unpack the kit for something and you can't remember how to get it all back together :yikes: :eek:):

cheers, and.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Pict said:
Big-Target,

But it's full of tinder !!
:)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
sargey, the reason I know it was a long while back is that I have not been able to find those tins for quite some time now. The place where I always got them now sells the same size tin but the top has a wrinkled finish. I wonder if these aren't the cloisonne tins Big Target is referring to. BT, do you have a pic? I really prefer the tins with the smooth top. Wish I could find some more. Maybe I need to do an online search.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the same size tin but the top has a wrinkled finish. I wonder if these aren't the cloisonne tins Big Target is referring to. BT, do you have a pic? I really prefer the tins with the smooth top. Wish I could find some more. Maybe I need to do an online search.

uh?

i thought we were all talking about the same thing!

talking of dumping contents out of boxes... the best box i got was the NRA badeged ulitmate survival, kit. i chucked most of the kit in the carrier bag of survival kit spares and only kept the box in use! :eek:):

cheers, and.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
:lol:

I know what you mean about those NRA kits. Good price though when they are on sale. The mirror is good as is the tinder. The blastmatch is a bit of an overkill though for the pack. I put these kits in the trunk or back of the truck. Nice presents too. But definitely a sturdy box!

I think the cloisonne tin BT is referring to is this one or something similar.

3677.jpg

The ones I see now in the stores around here look like this and I can no longer find the smooth ones.

1934.jpg

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Those NRA kits are a great buy. The box alone is worth what you pay for them.

I think the blastmatch is a bit of overkill as well. I use mine for testing all sorts of natural and man-made tinder to save on my other ferro rods. The signal mirror rides in my BK-7 kit, the whistle on my NRGS neck knife.

I haven't made up a kit in the box yet, but it is a great box. Mac

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
cheers for the photos sargey, thats the box I thought you were talking about. I use these type of boxes quite alot and as you say they are cheap, waterproof and they float.

Cheers

JFW

Hoodoo said:
:lol:

I know what you mean about those NRA kits. Good price though when they are on sale. The mirror is good as is the tinder. The blastmatch is a bit of an overkill though for the pack. I put these kits in the trunk or back of the truck. Nice presents too. But definitely a sturdy box!

I think the cloisonne tin BT is referring to is this one or something similar.

3677.jpg

The ones I see now in the stores around here look like this and I can no longer find the smooth ones.

1934.jpg

Yes it is!!!!!!! :biggthump

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The hard plastic case was an early, limited promotional item anyway. Aside from Doug's excellent instructions, the sleepers in the kit are the Sparklite system and mirror. You can barely purchase these these two items for the kit price alone. Personally I use the splendid BCB tins with gasket. My final assembly is almost an embarressment of supplies. The Altoids tin should be almost mandatory for a first PSK. The small size makes you truly appreciate the precious contents. To much kit always has the danger of instilling arrogance based on gear instead of common sense.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I normally carry two kits. I have a belt pouch the size of a small shaving kit that is more like a possibles pouch. I fully expect to tear into this kit on evey trip. My PSK is sealed with tape and stays on my body or inthe pouch of my knife sheath.

I view the PSK as redundant to the normal gear I carry in the pouch kit. I just got tired of tearing my kit apart to get at something I needed under normal, foreseeable circumstances.

I think too much kit in a kit defeats the purpose of always having it on your person. I try to keep my PSK basic: Fire, Water, Shelter, Navigation, Light, Signal, Minor Meds, Food Gathering. My belt pouch kit has more conventional size items and things like bug repellent, sunscreen etc. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE