Trade in your Altoids tins,for carrying your mini-kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I stumbled across something a little better. A Whitman's Chocolate "cloisonne" tin.

It is about a half an inch longer than an altoids tin,and about a hair short of an inch deeper than an altoids tin. Even though I have diabetes, i gave the chocolate to Susan(she's happy now )

This is the best tin,so far, for a few extra goodies in your mini-kit!!!!

PS>>>>>The colorful european baroque design on the tin adds a some class to the mini-kit too. :pack:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
So many tins, so little time to fill 'em... :(

tins1b.jpg

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hoodoo,

What DON'T you have a collection off :eek:):

You must have tons of knives, pens, tins, tarps, outdoor stuff etc. and the pictures you make of them are so nice.

Perhaps time to create a DVD full with them, dual layer DVD that is :Crazy_071

Cheers,

Bagheera :pack:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
alternatively....

there's a new zealand company that makes a very small (one and a half altoids tin) plastic tupperware style container, with a rubber seal and dual locking latches.

they'll withstand a 180lb hamfisted git(me) hopping up and down on one. i've sent them down with sport divers to about 20metres underwaterand the contents stayed perfectly dry. the box was easily opened afterwards.

and they cost about a quid fifty, better than paying a tenner for a tiny peli-case i think you'd agree!

cheers, and.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
no doubt the pelican cases are bomb proof, i keep my gps in one. but a quick google for english retailers throws up a price for a black 1010 case of 19 quid, about 45 bucks canadian! :shock: these klipit cases cost £1:45 from waitrose, got the missus to pick up a newun after work :eek:):

sorry for the crappy pics,

142158.jpg

142164.jpg

142163.jpg

but there's horses for courses, if you washed up on an ice berg with two hexy tabs and an altoids tin, you'd be glad you had something to brew up in :chill: the real advantage with the tins as opposed to the plastic boxes is maximum space for minimum bulk. i prefer my last ditch kit to be well protected, and waterproof.

or there's this place
http://www.automata.co.nz/~nick/Photos/Geocaching/Paint/

cheers, and.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nice assortment of tins and cases there sargey. I see you have the Ritter mini kit. I kinda like those. I need to get a couple more to stash here and there. :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i like 'em alot. i'l get round to doing a review on it eventually, arguably the best commercial psk available, great value for money too!

the only failings are the compass, just 'cause it feels a bit cheap, and the hard shell container. the case isn't water proof, and the ostensibly waterproof flexible plastic pouch doesn't fit in it. i have found that the sealing on the pouch is not 100% reliable.

those tins that BT highlights are a great pocketable size, squarer and deeper than the classic altoids tin. IIRC, i got mine from hoodoo :eek:):

i'm still working on the kit in the big otter box, i'm thinking about doing another course this year, and i'll be living out of that box for a week!

cheers, and.

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
sargey said:
alternatively....

there's a new zealand company that makes a very small (one and a half altoids tin) plastic tupperware style container, with a rubber seal and dual locking latches.

you can get these in Millets Dublin for €2.50.

"The one thing about altoids/whitmans tins, they DO NOT draw attention"

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Several people I know use Altoids tins as their uhm, how to put this, uhm, their stash tin.

I came home once at three in the morning and found someone's backpack lying on my front lawn. Odd. Took it inside, to see if there was an address or some identifying mark. Found some school books, some CDs, a pay stub from a local record store, and an Altoids tin. Altoids my butt I thought. Opened it up, and there was something inside. Something that uhm, rhymes with reed.

I dropped the backpack off at the record store the next day. I did take a wee bit of a finders fee though. :rolmao:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
sargey said:
the only failings are the compass, just 'cause it feels a bit cheap, and the hard shell container. the case isn't water proof, and the ostensibly waterproof flexible plastic pouch doesn't fit in it. i have found that the sealing on the pouch is not 100% reliable.

Well, I took a pretty hard look at that compass when I reviewed that kit for TK. Doug and I shared a bunch of emails. When I said I had concerns, he sent me a big pile of them to test. They all tested true north although they are a bit tempermental. Ya just gotta hold them dead level. Yup, he coulda stashed a true nord in there but the price would have gone up a good bit on the kit. He worked hard to build a quality, reliable kit at an affordable price.

sargey said:
those tins that BT highlights are a great pocketable size, squarer and deeper than the classic altoids tin. IIRC, i got mine from hoodoo :eek:):

You did??? :shock: That must have been quite a long time ago eh? :?:

ColdCanuck

Feb 16, 2005
Alberta, Canada
$45 CND!!!!!! Yikes! I think I bought my 1010 for $12 CDN and my 1030 fo $18 CDN.
I think I've seen containers similar to the Sistema Klip-IT at Walmart. I'll have to have a closer look next time. I have a dozen or so tins from a variety of candy/cold makers, my wife thinks I'm nuts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE