Tracking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Anonymous

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but am very pleased to see it and the website! Well done to those responsible for it.

I'd like to get a tracking thread going as I am becoming increasingly interested in this aspect of bushcraft. (I also use animal track and sign identification skills in my job, and I'm a volunteer with a Search & Rescue org).

So, to kick things off... has anyone attended a tracking (human or animal) course they can recommend? Most of the best stuff to read on the subject comes from the US and I am keen to find out who's doing it in this country. Someone on another topic mentioned a guy from Zambia who was at the Wilderness Gathering (which I missed unfortunately). Can anyone supply more details?

Thanks

Kev P

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 12, 2003
Beds
The Zambian guy you refer to, is apparently Ian Maxwell. If I remember correctly he teaches some tracking as part of a college course in either Devon or Cornwall. More than this I cannot say at the moment but am in the process of "tracking" :wink: him down. I'm sure Roger Harrington from Bison Bushcraft and Dominic from Gone Native who organised the Wilderness Gathering should be able to put you in touch.

H

Helen

I went on an excellent tracking course in June with Woodcraft School based in West Sussex.

It was 'Discovering Wildlife - The Tracker'. We were all complete novices at the begining of the week but 5 days later we followed a trial for about 3 Km...I was amazed I could do this!

The course opened my eyes to all those details, human and animal, around us that we do not normally notice. It has certainaly raised my level of awareness, walks have taken on a whole new dimension now.

All I need to do now is to continue to practise and develop my skills. Woodcraft has put together an Advanced Tracker course; definately on my list of things to do next!

I have also done other courses with the Woodcraft School and can throughly recommend them. Their web address is:woodcraft-school.co.uk

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Kev,
Do you know how I could get in contact with Ian Maxwell?
I've scoured the web, and there was a reference to him tracking cats on the Moors, but no contact details.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Raz said:
Kev,
Do you know how I could get in contact with Ian Maxwell?
I've scoured the web, and there was a reference to him tracking cats on the Moors, but no contact details.

If he was at the gathering then go to the wilderness gathering website, and ask Roger or Dominic if they know how to get hold of him.

Richard

Sep 30, 2003
Kent
www.trail-sense.co.uk
Helen said:
I went on an excellent tracking course in June with Woodcraft School based in West Sussex.

Yes, I was booked to do the weekend version of this course but unfortunately John (Rhyder) had to cancel it. I was offered a place on the week's course you did but couldn't take it up. I was very disappointed :cry: as I have studied with John at 'Woodcraft' in the past and rate him highly.

Thanks for the course review, Helen. It's made me more determined to do it (next year??)

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi Richard,
The Other Tracker doing talks at the Wilderness gathering was Tom Schorr Kon. He runs a school called trackways (web site doesn't seem to work) down in Sussex. He is trained by Tom brown himself out in the stares over the past 10 years or so.
He certainly opened my eyes on his introductory skills course.
You know, that "theres nothing there...." to " A large dog passed through here, looked to her left here and carried on in this direction..."
And that was just an intro, lord knows what his tracking intensive would let you see.
His details are all on the wilderness gathering links page if you want to get intouch.
http://www.wildernessgathering.co.uk/wsglink.htm
Enjoy
Rich

yeah, sorry guys, I forgot to send out Iam maxwells right e-mail address... here it is: Ian@aerohawk.co.uk

I can vouch for Thomas Shorr-kon. I was also a student under the "yank" Tom Brown Jr. and can truly say that Tom's method is most amazing! He even taught us a technique to find old tracks. he demonstrated this to us, by finding a 50 to 60 year-old track... I also know Thomas teaches in a very similar way to Tom Brown Jr.

J

jatherton

Hi everyone,

It's nice to see so many people interested. For tracking, I really recommend that you contact Natural Pathways at www.naturalpathways.co.uk they are based in Canterbury near London. Their courses have really opened my eyes!

They could also recommend most of the best tracking books,

Cheers,

Joel :shock:

PS
If anyone lives in Devon near Exeter then If you want to contact me because I live around their but sadly I know just a handful of interested people around here. :lol:

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I'm probobly nearist you.
I'm up near Bude at the moment, Although I was living in Totnes untill last year.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent

Natural Pathways at www.naturalpathways.co.uk they are based in Canterbury near London. Their courses have really opened my eyes!

canterbury is about 15 miles from me ,closer to dover than london, are they any good? cant get into their site to have a gander and see what they run, cheers al :)

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
also jatherton, i spent 7 years in the royal marines so know your area quite well, you`re very lucky :-D

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Ok has anyone ever heard of tom brown jr?? well he is proberly one of da best in da world :ekt: i think anthoino trained with him for 8 yrs so check him out his school is called wild live armagh or somthing and hes in northen ireland! ill say it again cheack him out :wink:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Tom brown JR has a very spiritual approch to tracking and was aparently taught by a native american (though i belive there is some contraversy about this), where as Ian Maxwell has a more hands on practical style
and worked in zambia as a tracker on game reserves before moving to the UK where he is currently employed by the police as a tracker

two very different styles so you need to decide which suits you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE