Tracking Kit Check List

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone suggest anything on top of the following , just putting back together a little tracking kit bag - appreciate any suggestions.

Measuring Rule or Square or tape measure.

Plaster of Paris , Bottle or Bag to Mix , Piece of drainpipe to retain Plaster allowing it to set.

Large Bag and Gloves - for handling and taking away any found dead animals ( for skull preservation ).

Hairspray

Lollipop or Marker Flags

Field Guide

Digi Camera or Phone

Torch

Tracking Stick

Fine Sand - for infilling and getting contrast on prints for photos

What else???

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
A mirror can be handy for illuminating impressions from the side, as can a wide brimmed hat, for providing overhead shade. More general advice for those trying their hand: there are a million things that might conceivably be useful, but don't wait until you have them all - get some time in on the ground and remember, you have to carry the kit. Keep it as simple as you can.

Reactions: TeeDee

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I was told a green light torch is good for increasing contrast on marginal prints.
I would take a rule of some sort and a hand lens too.

Dave

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I was told a green light torch is good for increasing contrast on marginal prints.
I would take a rule of some sort and a hand lens too.

Dave
Hi Dave
I small hand lens or Fresnel lens is also a great backup for anyone who "like me" wears glasses.
David Diaz, The acknowledged tracking expert and instructor recommends wearing protective eye wear, protection from brush really, so I carry a pair of Polarised sunglasses in my bag, very handy in the snow.
If you use a ruler, mark off one side with black and orange tape, then it doubles up as a great scale for photographs.
walkabout_484.jpg

For the above list, I find a 1:25 000 or 1:50 000 scale OS map comes in very handy, just for being out and about as much as anything really, a Tide Table and watch is also good if like me you live near the coast.
A waterproof notebook and pen, and a pencil for sketching tracks, If you study avian tracks, a protractor is also very useful for measuring toe angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE