Tracking course kit suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I am off on a week's tracking course with Bushcraft Expeditions on sunday.

Can anyone suggest any bits and bobs that might come in handy? I mean specifically to do with tracking, as I have the bushcraft side covered :rolleyes:

I've got my notebook, camera and binoculars...any other suggestions?

Cheers
Marts
:)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Loupe, ruler, my archaeology brush. All good ideas, Cheers.

What would I use crepe paper for? and a mirror?

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
You use the crepe paper to mark the position of indvidual sign in a track. The mirror is to reflect light from the side so you can pick out detail better ( you need to block direct sun light first).

stone

Tenderfoot
Good suggestions so far! On a course I attended last summer they also recommended a wide brimmed hat. Along with the mirror it helps with creating your own indirect lighting via the mirror when the sun is at its peak height. A track will wash out (no shadows) in direct sunlight and this combination helps create its own shadows...

~mike

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Well I'm back from the course and have to say I thought it was awesome. Really got the bug now. It's amazing how much I missed before!!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Cheers Leon. I really enjoyed it and feel like my eyes have been opened finally! I will stick up a review of the course in the next couple of days.

Oh and you'll be pleased to know that the F1 is still his favoured knife over his woodlore :)

leon-1

Marts said:
Cheers Leon. I really enjoyed it and feel like my eyes have been opened finally! I will stick up a review of the course in the next couple of days.

Oh and you'll be pleased to know that the F1 is still his favoured knife over his woodlore :)

Thanks, that gave me a little chuckle (something that I do far too little nowadays), it was the first that I made for anyone else and it's nice to know that it's in good hands.

I look forward to the review of the course:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE