Tracking Books

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
For animal tracking:-

"Animal Tracks and Signs" by Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrohm is a good one.

Oxford Univ. Press - ISBN 0199299978

It covers feeding signs, scat, pellets etc as well as tracks, gaits etc. Its well organised as a field guide and has excellent illustrations, diagrams and photos. While it comes from the perspective Northern Europe its very relevant. They added a foreword by Ray Mears in the reprint as well.

I've also been told that "Tom Brown's Field Guide - Nature Observation and Tracking" is a good one.but I've not checked it out myself.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
Try any of these;

Mammal detective by Rob Strachan, ISBN 1-873580-20-7

Tactical tracking operations by David Scott-Donelan, ISBN 1-58160-003-8

Tracks & Signs of the birds of Britain & Europe. ISBN 0-7136-5208-X

Animals Tracks, trails & signs ISBN 0-7537-0955-4

The complete guide to tracking by Bob Carrs, ISBN 0-094-79560-6

The art of tracking, the origin of science, by Louis Liebenberg ISBN 0-86486-293-8

You should be able to find all but the last one on Amazon.

dommyracer said:
For animal tracking:-

"Animal Tracks and Signs" by Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrohm is a good one.

Oxford Univ. Press - ISBN 0199299978

It covers feeding signs, scat, pellets etc as well as tracks, gaits etc. Its well organised as a field guide and has excellent illustrations, diagrams and photos. While it comes from the perspective Northern Europe its very relevant. QUOTE]

I've taught tracking for many years and this is the standard text book for Europe (buy it now if you can as they only runa few hundred print copies during every reprint and they can become very scarece!)although you ought to familiarise yourself with tracking humans first and then transfer it over...top n bottom sign etc... for this you need to look at some of the military manuals and practice on humans before you go near any animal track.

If you can't track two feet how r u gonna track 4? ;-)

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I have the Tom Brown book; It's not so much a field guide of tracks (there are far better for that) as it is a manual for getting yourself in the observation mind; he advocates achieving a meditative awareness of your state within your environment as being essential for tracking. Being of the "the universe flows through and with me" mind, I found it a good read. YMMV, as many people have a low tolerance for his, er, claims and that clouds their opinion of his work. :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Yup, that's the one.
They added a foreword by Ray and stuck his pic on the front - makes it more marketable I guess, and also shows up in searches for books by Ray Mears.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Wasn't Max from Shadowhawk going to produce a book ........ or was that just a figment of my imagination?

……. actually just had a look at their webpage …… and it says Max was to launch at the 2006 Wilderness Gathering ……… did anyone see it?

For ease of use and portability I’d also recommend the Field Studies Council “A Guide to British Mammal Tracks and Signs”. It’s a fold out laminated chart that is quite good for quick reference ……. and only costs about £3.50 from UKSafari.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
........... was also wondering if anyone has got or read The Mammal Society book "How to Find and Identify Mammals" by Gillie Sargent & Pat Morris?

Its on their website but I've also noticed it on Amazon and at the NHBS.

The NHBS says:-

"Revised second edition. Spiral bound.
Illustrations by G Troughton. Very much designed with conservation in mind (mammals account for a tiny proportion of UK biological records - only 0.5%) this manual contains tips on identifying mammals by their signs, sounds, and even smells, lists easy ways to distinguish species that look similar, and details live trapping methods. Further useful information such as recording forms, addresses of county mammal recorders, a mammal skull key, and a publications list is supplied in the appendices."

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
i did a tracking course with max in november and was told it would be out in december.I'll e-mail shadowhawk and find out if it is out yet.I was hoping to get hold of a copy myself.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the bob carss book is really good, i think its the best i've read so far.
together with 'Animal tracks and signs' you'll have a load of info to absorb

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Hi, you guys are probably aware by now but Max's book is very good and more pocket freindly.The Bang/Dahlstrom is also good although the error on page 21 has still not been corrected? Pointed this out to Rhoda at the outdoorshow.Hope I never meet a Muntjac with feet this big whilst 'mooching' in Rockingham Forest!!

Regards
Mooch

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Steve K said:
Has anyone read both of the Bob Carss books? Is there much differnce between them?

Cheers

there's only one that i know of, i think its probably been tarted up and new names added. the difference between it and most of the other books available is that it actually teaches tracking, not just recognising sign. both are obviously important, to me tracking is the extension of finding sign.
dont get the sas tracking and navigation book tho, its poor, not a patch on Carss.

I'd be interested to get any new publications by Carss if any knows of any?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE