Track Thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
Yes, I agree that a pine marten would be much, much smaller- its just that the question was asked.

I also agree we have to consider all angles including long shots.

I sent these pics to a tracking instructor I know and he sent me an interesting email in reply. He hasn't yet said what he thinks but when folks have had enough of debating this and I have been told I'll post his thoughts.

All the best

Rich

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
I am awaiting his final thoughts. He did say that he thinks we have made an assumption on the pictures that may be wrong. I will post his answer for discussion as soon as I get it as I think we might all be getting frsutrated now. That answer may also back up someone else's theory that has already been posted- I just don't know yet.
In fact all I know is that tracking will be one of my ongoing remedial studies :)
All the best
Rich

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Info: Track was dog sized.
You’ve got to be a bit more specific than “dog size” Jack Russell, Fox, Great Dane. Next time try to use a scale, It help's cut out the guess work. Just the usual problem with reading a sign in isolation and not reading the trail.

Hare.
..Hare.

Bushwhacker might be on the right track with Otter.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
He did say that he thinks we have made an assumption on the pictures that may be wrong
___________________________________________________________________________________

It did cross my mind that we are looking at it wrongly in assuming that the 3 holes are in fact toes from a single paw, if we look at it from different angles it could be less predator & more ungulate

In fact all I know is that tracking will be one of my ongoing remedial studies :)

Haha, looks like we could all do with a refresher course here :rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The problems for it being otter are both the size,( the OP said the track was as big as a medium to large sized dog's ) & secondly, the rear mark which is too close to the front indentations for it to be an otter's rear foot........also if the substrate was soft enough to allow the toe pads to leave such deep prints then surely there would be some trace of the heel /palm pads too....................

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
The thing is if the soil is soft then the track is going to look larger than it actually is and if the animal is travailing at speed, the track will be even more exaggerated. Speed may also account for the lack of an interdigital pad, that’s assuming it’s not a lagomorph.
The other thing I don’t like the look of is how the tyre track which must have compressed the soil, seems to stop just at the foot print but the track on top appears slightly razed,

Just trying to think latterly for a minuet.
Perhaps its not an animal track but something to do with the vehicle stopping?

I’ve said it before and ill say it again,
Just the usual problem with reading sign in isolation,we just can’t see enough of the big picture.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The other thing I don’t like the look of is how the tyre track which must have compressed the soil, seems to stop just at the foot print but the track on top is soft and appears slightly razed.

Just trying to think latterly for a minuet.
Perhaps its not an animal track but something to do with the vehicle stopping?

I’ve said it before and ill say it again,
Just the usual problem with reading sign in isolation.

The tyre track is the OP's who passed after the track had been made ( & presumably in drier conditions)

animal track or not animal track, that is the question..............

I agree with you about identifying tracks out of context .............it's like seeing a musical note then trying to work out from which symphony it came from.

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
Personally, I am inclined to think BTW is right overall. Someone else also mentioned that the stone might be obscuring. It certainly didn't seem to affect the neg space but could well have obscured the fourth toe- if that's the position said toe would have landed in. The rear "toe" may be from separate track and/or not relevant. No more contact from the chap I thought might know. Guessing it was a dog after all..........Unless I get something back which says different this is where I am going to leave things.
I shall take some pics of local snow tracks when we get our next flurry and post them (with size guide) just for fun.
All the best to you all
Rich

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I am awaiting his final thoughts. He did say that he thinks we have made an assumption on the pictures that may be wrong. I will post his answer for discussion as soon as I get it as I think we might all be getting frsutrated now. That answer may also back up someone else's theory that has already been posted- I just don't know yet.
All the best
Rich

Is it possible that the assumption made is that the photo shows a print in the first place?

Is it possible that the holes are from a small rodent scratching/digging.
I only ask this because the center of the "track" looks quite high and loose compared to the surrounding
area.

Could just be my untrained eye though....:confused:

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I wish now I had a closer look at these at the time I can’t remember if they were on the same trail but fairly sure its the same animal. But I will see it again as I know where it is .
No1 No2

NO3

Image no1 21 NOV@14.47
Image no2 21 NOV@14.45
Image no3 21 NOV@14.49

The track are all the about the same age looking at how they are all beginning to dry out so, So it is probably the same trail, so It’s unfortunately starting to look like Hare travelling at speed again to me But? I’m not %100 convinced. What do I Know?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE