Track Thoughts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hmmmm.....I'm still going for dog at the moment, like I said the stone probably prevented the complete paw from printing & prehaps the mark we take for a backward pointing toe was in fact made by another of it's paws. a hind paw for example, that went into the footpad...... .....

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
I did wonder myself actually..............

(Incidentally we did have a bunch of scientists check out the forest 10 miles away for big cats and they found 'enough reason' to plan on returning)

The rear toe into the front print is a good thought. I did carefully check the area at the time and the substrate at the back was just as imprintable making me suspect a rear foot would have left more sign than just one toe though.

Yes, those tracks are lovely otter prints eh? I think this one looks very different tho...whats the general consensus on definitely not and possibly is?

"Are you kidding ?................we can't get enough of this sort of thing" lol..just as well :)

All the best

Rich

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
I'm going to get the pheasant I hung in the shed yesterday and check its feet very carefully including the middle.........

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
Yes, thats my thinking (I see the pheasant tracks daily) but I am scrabbling for clues to the alignment and neg space question. Thought if I check the pheasant middle part I might be able to see if there are ways to articluate bird general anatomy to mimic that pattern if that makes any sense?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've got otters on the brain but what else is has a toe that far back? Pine Marten? Do you have those in your locale? I've convinced myself there's a fifth digit that's not registered.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Just to give an idea of where I'm coming from.

Otter

06072011537.jpg

Otter

01102011679.jpg

This is a small mustelid. Given the size I think we determined weasel. Three toes registered with another further back.

Track1.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
'ows about a buzzard (or even eagle) swooping down & grabbing a vole or some other little critter with one foot & the marks we see are the back of it's talons as it scooped up it's prey..........might explain why there's only one track.........
Do otters only leave one track ?....isn't there some body or tail marks/smudging as well ?........

Bodhi

Mar 7, 2010
Moray
We do have pine marten, although only glimpsed one so far about a mile or so away.

Yes, what has a rear toe like that, even if there was a fifth obscured the angle of this one is still all wrong.

Re: the swooping eagle (or buzzard)..surely the track wouldn't be so well defined for such an action...grabbing should render the digits smudged at least don't you think?

I'm playing devil's advocate- I still don't have any clue myself.

Rich

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
We do have pine marten, although only glimpsed one so far about a mile or so away.

Re: the swooping eagle (or buzzard)..surely the track wouldn't be so well defined for such an action...grabbing should render the digits smudged at least don't you think?

I'm playing devil's advocate- I still don't have any clue myself.

Rich

Pine martins would leave smaller tracks.than this...;).....
The buzzard theory was a long shot, but we have to consider all scenarios...:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE