Toxic Woods - Beware ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi Guys,

Of those whittling, carving or general camp work beware !

Found this just now and im a bit concerned at some of the ( suggested ) reactions to common woods, including pneumonia and even cancer. ( uncommon in the list however )

Iv'e not look ed the references for any validation. Anyone like to backup or dispute any of this ?

II don''t want to have to start wearing safety gear whilst settling down to my carving !

Cheers

Loz

reactions to certain woods

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
Interesting stuff.

I've just removed a load of Laurel from my wood pile as a tree surgeon mate of mine said it wasn't a good idea to burn it in the house. Something to do with cyanide content :eek:, not had chance to read up on it yet tho.

Mark

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
loz. said:
Hi Guys,

Of those whittling, carving or general camp work beware !

Found this just now and im a bit concerned at some of the ( suggested ) reactions to common woods, including pneumonia and even cancer. ( uncommon in the list however )

Iv'e not look ed the references for any validation. Anyone like to backup or dispute any of this ?

II don''t want to have to start wearing safety gear whilst settling down to my carving !

Cheers

Loz

reactions to certain woods

Whittling, campwork and general woodcraft shouldn't be a problem as you're not creating fine dust. Because the piece is published by the American Woodturner magazine it implies that the potency of certain woods could be harmful if the dust caused by woodturning on a lathe were breathed in. Most modern woodturners use an electric lathe, and most if not all turn dry seasoned wood. I see their concerns as regards H&S hazards because dry wood turned at high speed will create a lot of dust, but for what we do there should be no risk.

Eric

Reactions: Toddy

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi Eric,

I Agreee to some extent - The file does mention dust as one source of reactant,

However some of us do sand our carving ! - this creates dust, although i admit concentrated to sandpaper, cloth, and the local area - and not widely distributed by some highspeed lathe.

But also mentions , wood leaves and bark - although in what state i'm not sure what to interpret, - this would concern me.

Thanks

Laurence

markw said:
Interesting stuff.

I've just removed a load of Laurel from my wood pile as a tree surgeon mate of mine said it wasn't a good idea to burn it in the house. Something to do with cyanide content :eek:, not had chance to read up on it yet tho.

Mark

I thought heat (roasting or boiling) destroyed cyanide. That's what the Amerindians do with cassava (maniok)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Well, I've been working wood in it's various forms for forty odd years and I'm OK...cough, cough, wheeze!!!

Seriously though, I think normal precautions should see you alright. Don't work in confiled space, make sure there's plenty of ventilation, wash hands after use and cover any cuts and abrasions. If you are going to create dust, wear a mask. Simple really. Common sense here folks.

Eric

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I agree with Eric. The only wood I have ever had problems with is Iroko. I was working on the construction of a 28ft sailing boat, and all the frames were laminated Iroko. We produced a lot of dust and it took 3 courses of antibiotic over 6 weks to get rid of the pretty bad lungs and sinuses infections I got! and it b'#'#'#y hurts as well :( :( .The college where I was training should have known better than to let students work with so much Iroko dust! In consequence, I have become quite paranoid over dust and confined spaces, particularly Iroko. Some tropical woods are worse than most of the native woods we use in Bushcraft.
Metallic dust from grinding metals are not a good idea, nor are the compounds from the grinding wheels. The other problem I can see is the possibility of inhaling the spores of the fungus that cause spalting in some wood, which can also cause respiratory problems. Trust me, you just don't want the spores in your lungs :D Use dust extraction, air filtration and/or dusts masks and good ventilation if you must sand the things!! :D

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Laurel is dangerous stuff if not handled properly. The Victorians, who were great insect collectors, would crush a few laurel leaves into a bottle and use the cyanide gas to kill the insects! Not what I would want on my fire :(

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Just want to say thanks for the info guys it's something I had never even contemplated,yes the dust issue has always been a slight concern it's now a bigger concern .
I got an itchy nettle type rash after I had been cutting Beech and never did work out where it came from I couldn't remember getting nettled so will be more careful in future. Mike B...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE