tow rope from looped rope?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aeveling

Dec 2, 2006
Salisbury
just wondering... I've got some 2 tonne poly rope. If I knot the 2 ends to create a loop and then double the rope up so that there are two thicknesses of rope at each end does the breaking strain of the whole thing increase? I'm assuming that any load is now distributed through the 2 thicknesses of rope rather than one. Obviously the knot is the weak point. I'm thinking if the whole thing were then pulled out with the knot in the centre and then twisted to form something that resembles a bow string the knot might receive less stress than if the rope wasn't twisted. I realise I might be completely wrong on this and this is for a one off situation for dragging a tree stump (our lifting chains have been nicked). The location isn't suitable for pulley systems etc. I want to use several thickness of rope so eye splices etc are not viable.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
The problem would be when you went round corners you would tension one side but not the other. To turn several strands into a true single unit, they need to be properly braided.

Such a setup might even end up increasing the opportunities for breakage compared to just using one rope by itself.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Buy some bigger rope!

24mm polypropylene will give you a BS of about 6 tonnes once you've spliced an eye in each end, and won't cost much.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've done similar. I had some 10mm poly rope to attach to a 5 tonne Tirfor winch. Used 10 thicknesses and made it into a continuos loop. Bound the rope with gaffer tape and zip ties.

It pulled out 25 hawthorn trees :)

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Personally I avoid poly rope far too unreliable and can burn though itself with friction.
You are correct about the know, you can lose a lot of strength with knots depending on the knot of choice it can easily be a drop of 40% etc. As Ian said above splicing would be the best option.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Two tonne? Should be adequate to tow with.

If you loop the rope round the whole thing twice (like a bowstring) then seize the ends, you'll have a stronger system than using one rope. Not twice the strength though and as said the bend is the weak point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE