Totem Pole

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

JimJam

Hi Guys

As a art project we have been set the task of making a totem pole. :confused:
I would really like to carve one out of wood but i only have a pen knife available. :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :You_Rock_

JimJam

J

JimJam

thanks guys

im srry but i just want to make one about 30 cm tall :eek:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
JimJam said:
Hi Guys

As a art project we have been set the task of making a totem pole. :confused:
I would really like to carve one out of wood but i only have a pen knife available. :(
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :You_Rock_

JimJam
Hi JimJam,
A few years ago I was involved with a group of Native canadians in a Totem pole carving project. Members of the Squamish people came over from BC and we have two of their poles here where I live and another at a Visitor Centre I manage. The first question I would ask is how big has this pole to be? My poles were carved using wood chisels and one is about 20 feet high. It was carved on the horizontal with Squamish interpretations of local folk tales. Even quite young children were able to be involved. The wood used was Douglas fir from the Royal Estate at Balmoral. So to answer your question if you have, or can borrow, a set of wood chisels you should be OK. The Squamish drew the designs onto the timber once the bark was off and away they went. The wood was green, not seasoned. There was a special event to raise the poles as there is quite a lot of ceremony associated with this. Hope this helps. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE