Totally new fire product!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I hope this is ok to post this here. As stated BushcraftUK is in no way responsible for this.

Just seen this video please do feel in any pressure to back it unless you want to or just to wait till it comes out. BushcraftUK is in no way endorsing this product this is my own feelings, and BushcraftUK is not responsible for any action to do with this project.

The product in question is being devolped by Livefire and Adam Francis of Equip2Edure. It is a new concept in the use of a fire cord. It is a piece of gutted 550 paracord which then has a stranded version of Livefire in it. It does not have the load strength of full 550Lbs cord but is slightly stronger than a gutted cord. The inner strands which have been replaced with the Livefire product need to have a spark or flame put on it for it to be flammable, it is waterproof and with the out can act similar to a candle wick.

Here is a video on it hope it helps with any questions.

[video=youtube;mee9zXS2dRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mee9zXS2dRE[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Livefire seems pretty expensive for what it is - any idea on how much this cord will cost? Quite like the idea but I'd be concerned things would leech out of the core...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks to me like the answer to a problem that's not there - don't we have access to plenty of firestarters?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't know what to think about this... I can see good and bad points.

It seems like a great idea just in case but if you're going out knowing you're going to make fire, cutting cordage open to get to the tinder seems like a pain.

The video doesn't say how environmentally nice the stuff is when on fire either.

Still, looks nifty. if you have paracord show laces and all of your kit gets washed away apart from a fero rod... probably handy to have.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I don't know what to think about this... I can see good and bad points.

It seems like a great idea just in case but if you're going out knowing you're going to make fire, cutting cordage open to get to the tinder seems like a pain.

The video doesn't say how environmentally nice the stuff is when on fire either.

Still, looks nifty. if you have paracord show laces and all of your kit gets washed away apart from a fero rod... probably handy to have.

Well that saved me some time, my thoughts exactly. I'm not sure we have enough ways of starting fires yet :p

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
seems to me kickstart is being used more and more to remove the risk from established companies developing new products rathere than a helping hand to someone new. If they realy believed in the product why the need for investment?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Paracord's strength is predominantly in the core. Gutting it reduces the tensile strength significantly - how they can still call it "550" is anyone's guess

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
How does it behave in the weshing machine ? If your replacing zip pulls etc....or your missus puts your britches in the wesh wi aht checking pockets.....
Is it likely to leech any o them fancy chem-ee-cals onto the cloth ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If you want to carry cord for firelighting I wonder if the old Spanish firestarters are still available. These had something like match cord similar to musket match that was threaded into a holder with a flint and wheel like a lighter. Flick the wheel and the end of the cord glowed enough to start a fire. Push it through as it was used up. One could probably extemporise something from a gas lighter top.

Here we are http://www.toledo-bend.com/VCL/lighters/index.asp?request=lighters190

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Sounds like a good idea on the surface but when you thing about it, it could be very dangerous. A spark from a fire could set it off and then whatever it is fixed to i.e. you or your rucksack then go up in flames. Secondly the whole point of 550 is in it's strength. If you take that away what is the point? In an emergency you might grab the wrong cord and cause a death or accident. I reckon people might buy it for use as a bracelet or knife lanyard but they will almost certainly never get used to start a fire with.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sorry just cant see the point....

JUst get some skills with fire lighting with natural tinders... sort of negates the need for it.....

But then a gain theres loads of all the gear no ideas in this game...........

Haggis

Nomad
Many years ago, when gasoline first jumped to $0.50 a gallon, an enterprising gas station attendant tried to sell me a small $5.00 bottle of something that was to "improve" my gas mileage. I asked the fellow if buying $5.00 more gasoline wouldn't send me even further down the road? There are many of these new "save us all" gimmicks meant for nothing more than to put a few more shekels in the sellers purse.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you carry natural cordage, such a jute or sisal, then you have a ready source of tinder at all times (although not so good in the wet, I'm guessing)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE