Torch recommendation please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The Lenser or Fenix are lovely torches, but trying to get either for less than about £40 is tough (even if you import, there is a good chance that your going to pay duty). The nearest Lenser I can find is the Police Tech Focus from 7dayshop, for £30. The P7 looks great, and the LD20 for about the same price is very nice.

For those of us on a budget, BillyBlade's suggestion of the Romisen is a good solution. I've now got three, the RG2 (1xAA), the N3(2xAA or 1xCR123) and the A4 (1xCR123). All were about a tenner or less, and all really good value (although I'm aware that the cost of these three would have got me a Police Lenser). I got mine from DX, but BestBuy has much the same (although they sell more powerful but more expensive versions of the first two). The A4 is basically a ripoff of a Nitecore torch, and is fantastic for the money, and the RG2 is cheap enough to just leave in a pocket. If you lose it, it not the end of the world, and more than fine as a main or backup.

There are loads of torches on DX, but Romisen seems to be the one with the best reputation around the web (certainly they have a quality feel to them). Have a look at their http://www.dealextreme.com/p/romisen-rc-u8-cree-xp-er5-3-mode-350-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-1-18650-2-cr123a-3-aaa-904455751 U8 or RC29 torches. The U8 is tempting because it runs AAA's like a Gamma. Baggy - let us know what you think of the ones you get.

I'm a bit suspicious of supermarket torches, having bought one or two. There is no real guide as to output, and the workmanship isn't always the best, although some have been fine. The markup is probably pretty good for them, so your possibly paying for a generic light.

As for the head torch - you can't go wrong with the Gamma. Mine had a cracked clip on the battery case last week (it happens), so you can't clip it togeather and get a contact. They've just sent me a new battery cover, with no problem. Great product and great service.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all

Some great posts and tips, thanks all.

Re the Alpkit, I have an ancient Petzyl head torch that will not give up working but when it does the Alpkit will be my choice.

The really good news is that a Lenser P7 arrived in the post yesterday and my wife gave it to me straight away so I get the torch and an xmas pressie :)

The P7 came with batteries, a very nice belt pouch and also enclosed was an advert for the M7 :)

Speaking as a torch technology numptie I am amazed how much light these modern torches put out, my neighbours were probably equally amazed. I can now see how people end up with loads of the things.

The U8 looks interesting, we will probably order two RG2 (1xAA) for the cars.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I can now see how people end up with loads of the things.

Yes that's what happened to me, started with a Tesco 2XAA and quite a few torches later with a draw full of lithium cells had some with several thousand lumen's coming out!! Thankfully I have come down from those highs and now enjoy my lower output versions using AA batteries again!

Flashaholism is a disease I tell's ya:)

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE