Torch recommendation please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi

Xmas is coming and I have been asked for a list of wants by my family.

I fancy one of these new fangled LED torches but have been left behind by the technology.

My torch should

• be about or under £30
  • be able to allow me to see my black dog in the dark at 175 feet
  • run on AAA or AA bateries
  • zoomable wide to spot would be good

Any recommendations will be gratefully received.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For posh - Fenix LD25 about £30 imported from the US (I have one and its the mutts nutts)

Nearly as good is the Tesco AA Cree torch - for £10, Look for an aluminium body with a clear CREE label - best value torch sold today IMHO

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
LED Lensers are great. Maplins have them at good prices. I use the P3 as an EDC. Robert Dyas also do good value CREE LED torches. Their excellent head-torch is about £10. Both run on AAAs.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's supposed to be a couple of gems on Dealextreme but I can never remember which ones they are, cree bulb, single AA with 200 lumens for about £20 I think.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have a couple of these and they'll do what you want but build quality is about what you'd expect at the price and I've had to fiddle with one to get the connections to meet up right:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flood-...0-lumen-led-flashlight-with-strap-3-aaa-18304

Be warned that they appear to be out of stock at the moment, and don't order from DX unless you're patient. :)

There's a head torch type here that looks interesting, although I have no experience of it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/flood-...cree-q3-wc-130-lumen-led-headlamp-3-aaa-29435

Otherwise, well, knock yourself out:

http://www.dealextreme.com/c/other-led-lights-902

:)

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Have a look at the Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree on best offer buy . com

Less than £8 delivered, and it's kit i'd recommend to anyone. Also, if it get's lost or nicked, it's not going to leave you in a mump for long unlike if your £50 Fenix goes for a walk.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
For posh - Fenix LD25 about £30 imported from the US (I have one and its the mutts nutts)

Nearly as good is the Tesco AA Cree torch - for £10, Look for an aluminium body with a clear CREE label - best value torch sold today IMHO

Thanks Red, I was wondering what that Tesco Cree torch was like, I just picked one up got home closed all curtain's and switched on.
Most impressive.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Huge fan of the LED lenser here. I have the P3 edc, P7 in my bag and keep the P14 in my car unless out for an overnighter them take the big one as well.

Heard really good feedback on the Fenix range but never used one myself.

As said above anything with CREE technology will see you right.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Watch the Tesco £10 torch, take batteries and check its fully working in store. Two developed faults before I left the car park and the third one has split the seal in the filler cap. Its a solid torch and good value for money but take along batteries to check yours.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have had 2 of the Tesco twin AA battery torches and while very good for the money they do lack in several departments. The switches can go iffy after a while for one and the light will start to flicker. Also the range isn't that good, fine for thirty yards or so due to the lower end LED and reflector. It does not have any modes and as I like a choice that is a big downer for me.

However your only paying a tenner so keep your guarentee and if it goes wrong within a year it's fine, get it replaced. For the OP, for your distance requirements I would look at something else. The suggestion of the Fenix LD25 is a good one, I have the LD10 which is the smaller 1 AA version which is now my EDC.

Steve.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Hi all

Thanks for all the advice, after a bout of web surfing I have ordered a LED Lenser P7 for my xmas present, I will get a couple of the Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree as "house" torches.

I did an overnight last night, and had the Romisen with me. Performed as well as the chap who was with me's Fenix.

It's not quite got the quality of 'handfeel', but when I put mine down in the pitch dark to dig the firepit, I didn't have a sweat on about where I'd left it, unlike him!

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
P7 are very. Good have one for edc and also have the big brother p14 both well made and the belt sheaths that come with them rock

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
My worklight gave up the ghost recently (electrician) so I looked into various lights.I wanted something that would light up an area,rather than sheer power.
I opted for the Zebralight.
Very pleased indeed.No hotspot,easy to use,small.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My worklight gave up the ghost recently (electrician) so I looked into various lights.I wanted something that would light up an area,rather than sheer power.
I opted for the Zebralight.
Very pleased indeed.No hotspot,easy to use,small.

Which model was that? I've been very tempted by a Zebralight, and the other day my sister asked me what I wanted for Christmas... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE