Top Tip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
After attending a Tracking course I decided I may need a new Possibles Pouch that is a little larger to take tracking stuff.
I have decided to make what I call a "Bushmans Pocket" which is the same design and size as the lower pockets on a windproof smock.
I have some cobblers thread , rivets and some antler, I just needed to start looking around for some leather.
After looking at several sites I ended up at Strikeforce supplies! :shock: In his clothing section he has new issue Green leather Jerkins (leather front , mesh back) for £5, easily enough to make two Bushmans Pockets, and very good quality leather.
The Terylene Mesh back can be used for "stash-bags", compression sacks, even "dump-pockets" on the side of a rucksack (thats another story).
I ended up ordering three, as I want to make some high leg moccasins.
I know there has been a lot of talk about "possible-bags" lately and thought you all may be interested in this resource.
Neil

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What a waste of a good bit of clothing though,well in my book anyway.Not having a go at your plans/ideas mind.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
But CLEM a hide from here ranges anything up to £5 a ft sq and Neil1's jerkins are probably 4 ft sq of leather so it is much more cost effective and like recycling really. Another good source is leather colthes and bags at car boot sales you can pick stuff up for hardly any cash and make something you might use for years.

I would like to see some patterns or pics of the finished article if you can Neil.

Bill

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
At £5 a go, you could treat yourself to two :wink:
Buy four you could have a whole matching outfit, frock, bag & shoes, that would set tongues wagging a the disco :shock:
Neil

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Bill,
Your half way to being an ECO-WARRIOR (should I call you Dave AngeL!)
I'll get some pics up, this could be a project for a rainy half term.
Neil

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
tenbears10 said:
But CLEM a hide from here ranges anything up to £5 a ft sq and Neil1's jerkins are probably 4 ft sq of leather so it is much more cost effective and like recycling really. Another good source is leather colthes and bags at car boot sales you can pick stuff up for hardly any cash and make something you might use for years.

I would like to see some patterns or pics of the finished article if you can Neil.

Bill
Well i see the point and as i said i was not rubbishing his ideas at all,i dident know what price leather goes for either.I just imagined that the jerkin as is would make a tuff hardwearing bit of gear for the outdoors ect.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Neil1 said:
Bill,
Your half way to being an ECO-WARRIOR (should I call you Dave AngeL!)
I'll get some pics up, this could be a project for a rainy half term.
Neil

What do you mean half way I can hug trees with the best of them but remember you are the one making leather boots :wink:.

I meant to ask what is the antler for in the list at the begining of the thread?

Bill

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I actually designed some vegan boots using left-overs from a rucksack for a boot maker friend of mine, based on a roman sandle, my first attempt at footwear,he loved them , but dislikes non meat eaters, leather is the ultimate bi-product!
I use big wooden buttons on clothing & bits of antler for toggles (depending on how fruitfull my walks in the woods are), recycling does'nt stop at tins and newspapers!
Neil

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Ask in your local charity shop. They will have a 'rag bag' out the back full of clothes that are too worn or damaged to be resold and they are just binned.... you can normally find a couple of leather jackets in there.

:biggthump
Ed

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Any chance of having the plans of your boots Neil1? :?:

It's something I fancy having a go at.

Cheers

Mark

L

Little Mole

It's funny how we (at least I did) managed without shoes for much of our childhood and spend most of our adult life crippled by badly fitting footwear. I wish we could all go around in bare feet again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE