Top Ten

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

Tekeeler

Ok so I ask this out of curiosity and, if im honest, to see if im doin it right.

You are in some temperate woodland such as that in the UK and you are in a survival situation. You are wearing good and adequate clothing and footwear. You also have a decent knife.

What top 10 other items would you want to have with you under these circumstances? (Excepting Lord Mears)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
a firesteel
cordage
cooking pot
cup/other water vessel
edible plant book ;)
wiresaw
wetfire tinder
i know it isnt 10 but i couldnt think of any more

although you only really need a knife and a cooking pot and of course the knowledge to survive.

However a mobile phone with full battery rather defeats the purpost of my list. :wink: :rolmao:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
You are in some temperate woodland such as that in the UK and you are in a survival situation.
Well as its a survival situation (and not a bushcraft one) and most survival situations occur in the UK when an accident happens in the outdoors (ie you can't walk out) so I guess a first aid kit would rate quite highly... along with a mobile phone and a whistle. Big orange survival bivi bag and foil blanket if I'm there over night (or maybe just a blizzard bag), and some way of making a hot brew..... and chocolate for energy and morale.

It would really depend where you are, season, weather.... many factors.... In the brecon beacons in the winter I would want a sleeping bag for example.

Ed

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Firesteel
Needle with big eye
Poncho
Cord
Cooking pot
Charcloth
Wash kit
1. Aid kit

Couldn't think of anymore. A big bladed knife will suit one best in survival, IMO. :wink: Like a leuku or similar. With that you can chop of branches for shelter and skin animals.

Although seen before, I ind this thread interesting. :biggthump

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
experience is putting it into practice, it's not better than knowledge it IS knowledge.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Young Bushman said:
experience is putting it into practice, it's not better than knowledge it IS knowledge.
I would rate experience as having done a thing for many years and I think it goes beyond knowledge. :wink: IMO. :biggthump

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
well yes but where you say experience is better than knowledge, having experience of doing something doesn't neccessarily mean it is the most efficient. It is important to learn correct knowledge.

This is moving away from the question so let's resume on msn. :eek:):

T

Tekeeler

Apologies Ed. You are right in that survival situations are hugely different from a bushcraft one. What I had in mind in the question was the bushcraft side of things. :pack:

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Top 10 items that I'd want.Lets see.
#1 2 good knives
#2 fire steel
#3 prepared tinder wetfire or such
#4 water filter or treatment
#5 metal cup or pot
#6 50ft of paracord
#7 poncho with liner
#8 small 1st aid kit
#9 axe
#10 last but not least the knowlage to use these items.Ones brain has to be the most important peice of kit that one has.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Now I am lost and trying to survive this thread :eek:): Are we in an unplanned survival scenario or on an extended bushcraft walkabout? I recall some time ago a WW2 vet with a british commando background took off for the woods and they couldn't locate him. Seems he was depressed. I found it ironic his cure was considered a danger over pills :shock: Anyone recall this? What happened with him? But back to the query: I would submit the following with explanation. #1 Firemaking is obvious, but not the method. If you have a broken arm, a one handed U.S. Sparklite or a dependable lighter. Ironically, I've found the cheap disposables work handsomely. #2 a quality sleeping bag rated for the worst temperatures you might encounter. An arctic bag can be unzipped to vent in warmer temps. A summer bag in a blizzard makes a convenient body bag. There will be times when you simply cannot accomplish #1- no fuel, injury etc. Then #2 becomes your most valued kit. #3 A 1qt aluminium pot. Dehydration kills, be it arctic, temperate brit forest or desert. Cups,filters, kelly kettles are all nice. But when you need water you need more than some 8 oz hip flask found on the dessicated skeleton of a crashed aviator in North Africa 30 years to late. A pot also serves as an emergency shovel and even headgear. If somebody makes a remark ask if they've seen the Jabberwocky abouts and affect an eyetwitch. #4 a quality basha,tarp, poncho,zeltbhan or your dads brolly. For any extended adventure we need to keep the wind and rain at bay. We all love nature, but that microthin layer of wet 98.6 degrees needs something better than garbage bags or space blankets if we have the forethought to carry it. Notice how everything so far is keeping our little internal stove going? #5 Sewing kit. The Inuit say two things are vital to keep a man alive on the ice; a knife and sewing needle. We are maintaining everything above except the kettle #6 cordage to tie, bind,repair all the above. #7 Where am I anyway? the cars are on the wrong side of the road and you all talk funny with variations that make Harry Potter's slitherin intelligable. Ah! My swedish Silva compass speaks ENGLISH and I have this MAP. 2nd star on the right and straight on till morning. #8 Tea,fruitcake,chocolate, jerked beef and a few miniature airline bottles of whiskey #9 a proper hiking staff. O.K. I could probably make one but I left the billhook, axe, Khukhri and mushrrom knife with whisk behind. #10 whistle and mirror O.K. rumours of a mad yank imitating Herne the Hunter accompanied by a lion and making crop circles have the authorities out walking in a beaters line with several concerned local farmers carrying shotguns and remembering that scene in THE INVISIBLE MAN. There comes a time when you have to pack it in. :wave:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
1: Billy Can
2:fire steel
3: Sleeping bag
4:FAK
5: Tarp
6: legth of rope/string sutable for bow dril and rigging tarp 10m
7:bed matt
8:axe
9:folding saw
10:pre-mac water pump

alternative 10: snare wire

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Ferro rod, compass, whistle are part of my knife kit always!
so: Quality poncho, SS cup, SS bowl, axe, first aid kit, jerky or GORP, paracord
pack to carry it all in
just a thought

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
1 - The Deeds for the land
2 - Some planning permission

OK so thats the longshot out of the way...

I'll try again

1 A warm hat
2 Some water
3 a SS mug
4 Basha
5 Sleeping bag
6 GORP
7 Knife
8 Paracord
9 cigarette lighter
10 Some company :p

B

brian6244

I'll be fine with 5 items I think...

1. Metal Container
2. FireSteel
3. Knife
4. Water Bottle w/ Filter
5. Paracord

But if yuore forcing me to choose ten then I would add...

6. Mini Bic Lighter
7. A Second/Backup Knife
8. Large Sheet of Plastic
9. Sleeping Bag
10. Saw or Axe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE