Top Ten Hiking Foods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This thread was started by a new member (suspected spambot) who did not introduce themselves or enter into any discourse.The information in this first post has been found to be a direct cut and paste from elsewhere on the net. The OP has been banned but this thread generated interesting discussion. I have left it to continue in that vein.
cheers,
Toddy

When people hit the trail they don't give what they are going to eat a lot of thought. Day hikers are infamous for being under prepared, and proper nutrition is largely ignored. Having a good meal plan, even if your plans are just for an afternoon jaunt is critical to being safe and having a good experience in the outdoors. Not eating enough can lead to dizziness, cramps, nausea, and a feeling of malaise.

Number Ten - tuna and crackers. Make sure you get one of the smaller cans of tuna that has a pull top to open, that way you won't need a can opener. If the thought of dry tuna makes you shudder, than you can bring a mayonnaise packet acquired at a local fast food restaurant to make it more palatable. To make things even more tasty consider smearing your tuna salad on a bagel (pre sliced) or into some pita bread. Nutritional pluses, tuna is almost pure protein while being balanced with carbohydrates from the crackers or bread.
Number Nine - hard cheese and crackers. Hard cheeses are robust enough to survive on the trail and can take a moderate amount of heat. Sharp cheddar stood out as a favorite among the editors, getting high marks for our durability requirements. Seasoned or whole-wheat crackers add flavor to the somewhat bland experience. Nutritional pluses include plenty of protein, fat and carbohydrates.
Number Eight - peanut butter. If you bring peanut butter you will have a lot of options. We recommend repacking it into a squeeze tube; you can find them practically anywhere, even the camping supply section of most Wal-Marts. Not only can you just suck it out of the tube, you can lather peanut butter on crackers or a bagel. One of our favorites is smothering a bagel with peanut butter and sprinkling plump raisins on top. Nutritional pluses, plenty of protein, a good amount of fat balanced with the carbohydrates from the crackers or bread.
Number Seven - candy bars. If you are hiking in a moderate climate, candy bars can survive well on the trail. We don't recommend them in hotter conditions, thus the reason candy bars only made it to number seven on our list. Milky Way, Snickers, Pay Day, and Whatchamacallit scored high with our editors, one said he would, "kill on command for a Whatchamacallit" and yet another editor said she'd do the same for a Snickers, "in a heart beat!"
Number Six - fresh fruit. Nothing satisfies like a good apple, orange or pear. We recommend carrying fruit that can take rolling around in your backpack, you might find peaches, bananas, and plums less than desirable when you sit down to eat. The two reasons they didn't score higher with our editors was weight, trash that needs to be packed out, and caloric bang per ounce. However they get very high marks for a natural carbohydrate fix, and almost everyone has a favorite fruit they will eat. Every editor agreed that sitting on a scenic bluff eating cheese and crackers with apple slices was the perfect way to spend the afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Great list up to now. Never thought of tuna but it could even be something to put in my little food bag of dried/long life gear

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Candy bars (or chocolate bars as they are generally known in the UK) are not on my list for any hiking or climbing activity. They might have a "feel good factor" but if I recall correctly they can give you a bit of an initial sugar rush (hence the initial feel good bit) but thereafter it can stimulate the production of lactic acid in the muscles, which can lead to feelings of tiredness. I can't recall the exact science and indeed it may have changed these days? Any nutritionists on the forum?

And as for peanut butter, I don't think I could bring myself to eat it! (except in an absloute survival situation of course) :)

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Peanut butter and Marmite sandwiches- the food of the Gods.
Dried dates are very good, easy to carry and high in food value.

Just to add to the last post here's a recipee from the Stealth Survival blog

Parched corn is 11.5% protein, 8.4% fat, and 72.3% carbohydrate with a food value of 1,915 calories per pound. This is approximately 60% higher than wheat. This compares to wheat bread which has 9.2% protein, 1.3% fat, 53.1% carbohydrates and a value of only 1,205 calories per pound. Parched corn owes its “staying power” to its relatively high nutritive value. When only 4 ounces are combined with a pint of water instead of cooked, it swells in the stomach to give your hunger a very satisfied feeling for a long period of time.

Traditional Pinole

Native Americans roasted corn kernels in hot ashes until brown and then cleaned the ashes, pounded it in a mortar, sifted it, and then mixed it with sugar. They ate about approximately 4 ounces diluted in a pint of water as a traveling meal.

How to Make Pinole – The Modern Way

1.) Heat commercially available masa harina in a wok or frying pan, stirring constantly, until it is just barely brown. Be careful not to burn it.

2.) You can also bake the masa harina for 4 to 5 minutes on a baking sheet in a moderate to hot oven while stirring occasionally.

You can add ground ginger, cinnamon, brown or white sugar as a supplementary ingredient. Browning adds a very pleasant nutty flavor and helps prevent the need for drinking a lot of water when combined with pinole. This is due to the fact that the corn is cooked in the parching process. Cool the pinole and then store it in an air tight and moisture resistant container. It has a shelf life similar to corn meal when properly stored and requires no refrigeration.

handy stuff
SBW

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Candy bars (or chocolate bars as they are generally known in the UK) are not on my list for any hiking or climbing activity. They might have a "feel good factor" but if I recall correctly they can give you a bit of an initial sugar rush (hence the initial feel good bit) but thereafter it can stimulate the production of lactic acid in the muscles, which can lead to feelings of tiredness. I can't recall the exact science and indeed it may have changed these days? Any nutritionists on the forum?.....

not a nutritionalist by any stretch but the way i understand it is that something like a chocolate bar actually gives you a blood sugar low imediately after you eat it as your body sends blood sugar to your digestive system to deal with the food that you've just put in there. i may be wrong but i'm pretty sure that's how it was explained to me

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Muesli bars ......all in one goodness and none of that smelly fish tin stuff to lug around either :)
If you use oats and dried fruit in them that'll give both energy and slow release sugar :approve: Cheese or bacon savoury ones can be made too.

I like tofu jerky and fruit leathers, though I'm supposing that all the carnivores would prefer the dead beast stuff :D

How the hang do you carry peanut butter when hiking ? In a jar? that'll be heavy, or a tube ? Personally I think it's great for making gravy and stew but yuckily teeth sticking otherwise.

Not a fan of the boiled bread (bagels) either tbh, but the wee quoits are robust enough to survive in a rucsack, I suppose.

Ah well, each to their own :)

M

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Great list up to now. Never thought of tuna but it could even be something to put in my little food bag of dried/long life gear

Tunas great - you can get them in those flat packets mixed with peppers and such. I've also taken little tins of pilchards/sardines - Asda do one in a mustard sauce that is just LUSH!
Oak crackers, cheese and salami all make up lunch when I'm out and about.

Ooo, also remove the lid and bottom of the tuna tin and you can use it to poach eggs in a small amount of water :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Muesli bars ......all in one goodness and none of that smelly fish tin stuff to lug around either :)
If you use oats and dried fruit in them that'll give both energy and slow release sugar :approve: Cheese or bacon savoury ones can be made too.

I like tofu jerky and fruit leathers, though I'm supposing that all the carnivores would prefer the dead beast stuff :D

How the hang do you carry peanut butter when hiking ? In a jar? that'll be heavy, or a tube ? Personally I think it's great for making gravy and stew but yuckily teeth sticking otherwise.

Not a fan of the boiled bread (bagels) either tbh, but the wee quoits are robust enough to survive in a rucsack, I suppose.

Ah well, each to their own :)

M

I was just about to suggest granola. - packed full of energy when you add in all the fruit, nuts and seeds and high calorie.

that said - I've got a real flapjack fixation at the moment. lol

As for tuna - when I was in the OTC - we used to raid the rat packs for the tuna sachets. - tear off a corner and just suck it out! - Fills you up, quick to eat and keeps you going!
Not as good as beef pate and biscuits brown mind you ;)
Andy

Last edited:

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK

Say WHAT?!?

Chapatis or any other flat breads also do quite well, packed in against the back of any pack.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Chocolate bars are the bane of our lives on Ten Tors training. Massive initial energy burst as the glucose is absorbed into the blood. 35 minutes later the insulin overcompensates and the blood sugar level drops below what it was before and the indivdual's pace drops off to 2kph. We have had a few youngsters who would spend most of the walk in 45 minute cycles of hyper and hypoglycemia (badly high and low blood sugar level). Mint cake is even worse. It's looking like the breifings have paid off this year as the food looks pretty sensible. One girl had a packet of green beans, bizarre behaviour!

My favourites;
flapjack
eccles cake
pork pie
pasty

Peanut butter sounds like a bad move. Just going to be mess everywhere. One of our Ten Torsists had a box of pasta salad that opened in the rucsac :lmao:.

Might have to give tuna a trial.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Say WHAT?!?
re peanut butter for gravy and soup.... :D

It's really, really good. Try it, I chop some onions up finely, fry them golden, add some decent stock (I use the marigold vegan stuff) and add a good spoonful of peanut butter. These days I use a wee bit of cornflour to thicken it, but when I could eat gluten with no bother I used to use oat flour from the porage oats or meal. Really tasty :D
Same with soup, it's a brilliant addition to the richness of the flavour. Lentil or carrot and coriander, broth, stew....it's all good.

Where do you get tofu jerky from ? , or do you make it ? Thanks MB
...re Tofu jerky.

The Jerkymeister's missus is a vegetarian and she makes some brilliant Tofu jerkies :approve: The Jack Daniels one is recommended :D but the Marmite one is brilliant :D

http://www.martinsjerkedmeat.com/

It's pretty easy to make at home too, I just slice up a block of the firm silken tofu into near enough three or four mm slices, and marinate them overnight....make it a thick, kind of sticky marinade. Then I dry them in the dehydrator the next day.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
...re Tofu jerky.

The Jerkymeister's missus is a vegetarian and she makes some brilliant Tofu jerkies :approve: The Jack Daniels one is recommended :D but the Marmite one is brilliant :D

http://www.martinsjerkedmeat.com/

It's pretty easy to make at home too, I just slice up a block of the firm silken tofu into near enough three or four mm slices, and marinate them overnight....make it a thick, kind of sticky marinade. Then I dry them in the dehydrator the next day.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy

MB

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Number Seven - candy bars. If you are hiking in a moderate climate, candy bars can survive well on the trail. We don't recommend them in hotter conditions, thus the reason candy bars only made it to number seven on our list. Milky Way, Snickers, Pay Day, and Whatchamacallit scored high with our editors, one said he would, "kill on command for a Whatchamacallit" and yet another editor said she'd do the same for a Snickers, "in a heart beat!"
Number Six - fresh fruit. Nothing satisfies like a good apple, orange or pear. We recommend carrying fruit that can take rolling around in your backpack, you might find peaches, bananas, and plums less than desirable when you sit down to eat. The two reasons they didn't score higher with our editors was weight, etc

This entire entry has been lifted from another website, therefore the reference to 'editors' is somewhat out of context, could you add the link to the original site in order to provide clarification, many thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE