Tools required for making a knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I've decided to make my own knife. Barring materials what tools are required, i'm looking to make my first one with mainly hand tools.

So far I think i'll need:

Workbench with vice,
File,
Saw,
Sand paper,
2 part Adhesive,
Engineers tape,
Clamps,
Drill,
Hammer.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Zammo, 'ataboy for having a go,
Your list pretty much covers it though if you're using an electric drill, you might as well get some sanding pads to go in it - it'll help where theres lots of material to remove.

All the best and remember piccies when your done.

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I saw a tool the other day that I may buy to help me make stick tang knives. It looks like a screwdriver with a drill bit on the end and the screw bit at the very tip that pulls the drill through the wood. Along the drill bit, it has file like serrations that could be used to elongate the hole into a slot after drilling.

I am looking at buying one and testing it out, I'm not sure if this is its intended purpose. I want to try and make my stick tang knife, which I purchased from Kniv-per, using only hand tools, no power tools. I still haven't started on it as I intend to do it over my summer leave period, that I'm not actually getting until the middle of this month.

It'll probably rain a lot, so this would be a good wet weather alternative project for me!!

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Having a go is good! Don't forget to include a blow lamp and some fire bricks if you intend to heat treat it or try a charcoal barbie and a hair dryer.

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
I was impresed with the demo at the moot and now want to make a knife too. Who where the suppliers for the metal and was it a particular type of 01 tool steel ie carbon? What is posting name of the guy who did the demo at the moot?

Cheers for any help.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Nearly all good knives are made of harden steel be they carbon or stainless. Knives made of unharden steel will not stay sharp for any length of time and will not be very good at creating sparks with a fire steel.

Knives are made of steel that can be harden like O1 tool steel also known as ground flat stock that is widely available from most engineering suppliers like www.cromwell.co.uk. The same steel is used in the Woodlore knives.

The steel is supplied in the annealed or soft state and can be drilled, sawn and filed. When the steel has been shaped into a knife blade, it needs to be heated to 780C-820C and quenched in oil, I use ordinary cooking oil. After it has been quenched, it is very hard, harder than a file but very brittle and will chip or break very easily. It needs to be soften slightly to make it tougher but still hard. This is the process called tempering, it can be done in a domestic oven. Blades for bushcraft use should be tempered at around 230C-250C for 2 hours, taken out and cooled and then tempered again for 2 hours at the same temperature.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
GearGuru said:
What is posting name of the guy who did the demo at the moot?

Cheers for any help.

It was Chris Claycomb who did the metal removal knife demo, and Pete Bond at the forge! Both very knowledgeable folk and from my experience, only too pleased to help out.

www.greenpete.co.uk or similar, (good tutorial too) advocates using old metal files to make knives - and that is what I've been using for my last five blades, though buying flat bar stock would be a good way to start out. Go carefull though, it gets very addictive very quickly.

The good thing about making them yourself is that they loose all the mystery and if they get broken or damaged, you know how to go about repairing or replacing different parts. If there are questions, I'll try to help out where I can but there are more knowledgeable people around as I said.

ATB and have fun.

Ogri the trog

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Shing said:
Nearly all good knives are made of harden steel be they carbon or stainless. Knives made of unharden steel will not stay sharp for any length of time and will not be very good at creating sparks with a fire steel.

Knives are made of steel that can be harden like O1 tool steel also known as ground flat stock that is widely available from most engineering suppliers like www.cromwell.co.uk. The same steel is used in the Woodlore knives.

The steel is supplied in the annealed or soft state and can be drilled, sawn and filed. When the steel has been shaped into a knife blade, it needs to be heated to 780C-820C and quenched in oil, I use ordinary cooking oil. After it has been quenched, it is very hard, harder than a file but very brittle and will chip or break very easily. It needs to be soften slightly to make it tougher but still hard. This is the process called tempering, it can be done in a domestic oven. Blades for bushcraft use should be tempered at around 230C-250C for 2 hours, taken out and cooled and then tempered again for 2 hours at the same temperature.

Thanks for the reply.

This seems to be what would be required if you are actually making the blade from scratch. I intend to buy the blade and then just create the handle. Would I still need to temper the blade then or would it already have been done?

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
It would generally have already been done - and sharpened, although it might need a final sharpen depending on how particular you are!

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
thnx orgi for the advice - found that site just b4 ur post and its a corker - very basic and to the point.

I can't wait to have a go at a knife, just waiting to move into my :D new house with a garage then I'll get cracking on a knife and sell my WS woody in preference for my own blade - can't wait ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
GearGuru said:
thnx orgi for the advice - found that site just b4 ur post and its a corker - very basic and to the point.

I can't wait to have a go at a knife, just waiting to move into my :D new house with a garage then I'll get cracking on a knife and sell my WS woody in preference for my own blade - can't wait ;)

Nice one Buddy,
Don't forget to let us know how you get on ;)

Ogri the trog

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
GearGuru said:

I'm in the same boat. Hopefully should be moving into my own house (after 6 long years of living in rented flats) in a months time and it has a little shed for me to get cracking making things. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Zammo said:
I'm in the same boat. Hopefully should be moving into my own house (after 6 long years of living in rented flats) in a months time and it has a little shed for me to get cracking making things. :)

Same goes for you then Zammo,
Good luck, and show us what you end up with ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE