Tools for finding wind direction?

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi
I am looking for something that can tell me wind direction when I am out tracking. I the woods I find it difficult to tell the direction as if it's not very windy the trees slow the wind. It's still blowing through the woods but too subtle for me to tell.

So I am asking please if anyone knows of goods products that can detect slight wind direction.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi,
Try a small nalgene bottle with the easy pour cap. Fill the bottle with fine wood ash, squeeze the bottle, a puff of ash comes out and drifts off to give you an indication of wind direction, i am sure that there are other and probably cheaper alternitives for the bottle but you get the idea

Louis

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi
I am looking for something that can tell me wind direction when I am out tracking. I the woods I find it difficult to tell the direction as if it's not very windy the trees slow the wind. It's still blowing through the woods but too subtle for me to tell.

So I am asking please if anyone knows of goods products that can detect slight wind direction.

Would a lighter work, the flame may flicker in the wind showing direction, in a ray mears programme he used something like a squirty bottle that squirted water vapour into the air and watched which way the wind took it. EDIT, may have been ash as lou1661 said.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi,
Try a small nalgene bottle with the easy pour cap. Fill the bottle with fine wood ash, squeeze the bottle, a puff of ash comes out and drifts off to give you an indication of wind direction, i am sure that there are other and probably cheaper alternitives for the bottle but you get the idea

Louis

Works for me...

Tracer1969

Feb 11, 2009
Belgium
I've learned it like this:

Put your finger in your mouth, make it wet, stick it in the air and the side the wind blows will feel cold. But iff you pic up a leave and throw it in the air, ..;should work also. :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I've learned it like this:

Put your finger in your mouth, make it wet, stick it in the air and the side the wind blows will feel cold. But iff you pic up a leave and throw it in the air, ..;should work also. :)

Exactly what I was going to say!
The advantage is that it takes up no room or extra weight and can be used for multiple purposes. Such as cutting with a knife...

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
A handful of grass thrown in the air.Don't grt to technical it will only let you down.
You could look at a spot and work out where your basha will be and where your fire will be,the wind will be in a direct line from fire to basha thus ensuring you basha fills with smoke.It's one of sod's laws,never fails.

A handful of grass thrown in the air.Don't grt to technical it will only let you down.
You could look at a spot and work out where your basha will be and where your fire will be,the wind will be in a direct line from fire to basha thus ensuring you basha fills with smoke.It's one of sod's laws,never fails.

unless its Midge season then you cant get the smoke near the dam thing :D

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
A pinch of a few grass tips will indicate all but the very stillest of air currents, sometimes though you will have to throw it quite high for it to work.

Dec 16, 2007

Same thing works with a friend who is standing near you and farts. The wind will ALLWAYS blow the smell towards you. So advice is to bring a friend that has had sprouts for breakfast, dinner and tea.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Talc in a squeeze bottle for very light breezes works well, a tuft of grass tossed in the air or a palm full of dry sand poured out. A light, hanging thread will give a good indication especially if you tie a piece of downy feather to the end.

Sometimes it helps to watch vegetation with binoculars or rifle scope when planning a stalk. The wind might be one way where you are but channeled by a terrain feature where you're going. Birds and animals in an open field will typically stand nose into the wind so it isn't "blowing up their skirt" so to speak. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE