Toolbag made from "the wrong leather"

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
When I decided to have a go at leatherwork a couple of years ago, I bought a hide off eBay only to find after the first few jobs that it wasn't what I should have bought at all. It was dyed a kind of mahogany colour with some kind of plastic coating that started to delaminate as soon as I tried to wetform it. After I realised the error of my ways, I addressed myself to the good offices of Le Prevo, bought some natural veg tanned leather and have not looked back.

Except that I don't like to have stuff lying around that I spent good money on... So I had a go at making a box-stitched toolbag for my leatherwork tools:

bagfront.jpg

bagback.jpg

And the innards:

baginside.jpg

My first attempts at box stitch construction:

bagstitch.jpg

While I am quite pleased with the result and it certainly does the job of keeping my tools in one place (and, thus, keeping SWMBO off my back:)) I might have a go at another one someday, using "proper" leather. The moral of this tale is simple - I should have asked you guys for advice in the first place.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Niiiiiiice!!

I always chuck everything together in a big plastic box - not just tools, but also leather, paper, leftovers, cutting mats, etc etc. Would have to be a big bag to carry all my stuff in ;-)

PS: nice work on the box stitching. Did you use a round needle?

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Just showed it to my lovely wife and she wants one. Can't see it being used for tools some how. Also she was wondering about the pattern?

Is it a Wicca symbol?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
PS: nice work on the box stitching. Did you use a round needle?

Standard awl and round saddler's needles. Once the structure starts coming together it gets quite rigid and easier to sew.

Just showed it to my lovely wife and she wants one. Can't see it being used for tools some how. Also she was wondering about the pattern?

Is it a Wicca symbol?

Not that I am aware of. I drew it in CorelDraw when I was trying to see if I could do celtic knotwork patterns on the computer - only limited success so far. It is laser engraved into the leather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE