Tool pouch with firesteel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone,

I have made 2 of these (RH model) on request and this one is the third one (LH model). Just want to see what everyone thinks of it and gauge the market respond.

241485601_f56af7819c.jpg

241485599_611a7e9bcf.jpg

241485598_3b8b941fac.jpg

Thank you for looking.

singteck

synoptic

Sep 9, 2006
Manchester
Thats a really nice pouch :)

What kind of price are you looking at for something like that? Like the firesteel holder as well, it's a neat addition that doesn't ruin the look of the pouch as a whole.

Good work!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
This is bordering on a commercial post.... expect to get a pm from the Mods or an admin mate ;) Or read the forum rules.... especially about no commercial posting.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yeah I know mate, but others have been stopped from using BCUK for this kind of market re-search and I know as an ex-admin here I'd get about 15 posts from people asking why you are allowed to do it and they were not... hence a complete blanket ban on commercial posts on the forum.

If people are interested in getting you to make one for them, they can always send you a pm... thats fine... just keep it off the forum.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
No... seriously mate.... its ok... leave the thread in place so people can see what you are up too and pm you if you are interested. I just didn't want someone to ask 'can you make one for me... how much' and you falling foul of the forum rules by replying.

They do look good mind, so keep up the good work.... and sorry if I seem to be comming down heavy, I dont mean to be, just trying to save the staff alot of agro before it starts.... as that was the reason Ileft... all the agro :rolleyes:

Maybe you should have a chat with Tony about the makers market forum... there is a seperate user group for those that make stuff and they are allowed to sell small amounts on their forum (The Makers Market) .... it is for hobbyist makers only like you and not for big commercial sellers.

Sorry again if I sound like a pain :(

Ed

Reactions: Toddy

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Ed said:
No... seriously mate.... its ok... leave the thread in place so people can see what you are up too and pm you if you are interested. I just didn't want someone to ask 'can you make one for me... how much' and you falling foul of the forum rules by replying.

They do look good mind, so keep up the good work.... and sorry if I seem to be comming down heavy, I dont mean to be, just trying to save the staff alot of agro before it starts.... as that was the reason Ileft... all the agro :rolleyes:

Maybe you should have a chat with Tony about the makers market forum... there is a seperate user group for those that make stuff and they are allowed to sell small amounts on their forum (The Makers Market) .... it is for hobbyist makers only like you and not for big commercial sellers.

Sorry again if I sound like a pain :(

Ed

It's ok mate... I understand :D don't want to offend or upset anyone. Thanks for letting me know.

singteck

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Excellent work mate, very nice indeed.

I'm curious about how you've stiched the side panels in - can you explain/get a decent pic of the inside?

Thanks,

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Just seen your inside pic on the flickr site - still can't work out what you've done though - I can't see the stiching at all on it!!

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Big John said:
Just seen your inside pic on the flickr site - still can't work out what you've done though - I can't see the stiching at all on it!!

The sides are sort of butt joined to the front and back. The stitches are at 45° through the leather from the side.

241819351_e6c111edab.jpg

not the best picture sorry

singteck

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Wonderful stuff, I really envy those with these kinds of skills. My hat goes off to you sir.

On another note regarding 'market response' How about a small sub section in the hobby makers section called the 'Dip stick' It will be posted by the Hobby Maker with some pictures and it will be a yes or no poll only. This way they get an idea without actually trying to hawk stuff and upsetting the apple cart. If Tony can agree to a fee for this it might work out nicely. I am sure people on here would like to see what is available from makers that have a keen interest in this subject.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
singteck said:
The sides are sort of butt joined to the front and back. The stitches are at 45° through the leather from the side.

not the best picture sorry

singteck

Thanks, I can see what you mean from the pic, but how do you make the holes? You show the stitches curved - do you use a curved awl?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never had much luck with using an awl really - I can just about manage straight holes through two bits of leather but this is something completely different. Is there a trick - wet the leather maybe? I assume you glue first to hold the shape whilst you're stabbing/stitching?

Thanks again,

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Big John said:
Thanks, I can see what you mean from the pic, but how do you make the holes? You show the stitches curved - do you use a curved awl?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never had much luck with using an awl really - I can just about manage straight holes through two bits of leather but this is something completely different. Is there a trick - wet the leather maybe? I assume you glue first to hold the shape whilst you're stabbing/stitching?

Thanks again,

No need for a curved awl. I think the most important thing is the awl must be round in cross section. Don't use a stitching awl. And the taper on the awl must be small with a diameter not more the 2mm at the widest. Most awl that I find in the market are too large. Best to make one from a big needle.

The curve hole is not compulsary. you can just ***** it straight through. I ***** the hole in 2 steps. First, ***** down slightly at 60° and the change the angle to 45° and ***** through the side. This ensure the top have better support with more leather to hold the thread.

Practice is important. You have no idea how many side pieces I have to cut because I split the leather while pricking. :bluThinki

If you want a demo, you can always come over to my place. I can show you how to do it.

singteck

EDIT: oh I find that the stitch grover helps alot in pricking the hole. It removes the surface grain so the leather is less likely to tear. And I think it just looks better :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE