Took delivery of my gas bottles

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
some 13kg ones and a couple of 9.3 kg ones.

PM me if you fancy one.

I would apprechiate help with removing the valves if you please.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Well , i will describe how i done mine.Gas bottles have a lefthand thread which means they undo the opposite way to normal nuts.I took the empty bottle away from anywhere where there might be a spark or risk of propane build up,undone the hand valve to release any pressure, got some stilsons and undone the valve assembly slowly.It will start to hiss.Leave it to finish hissing then unscrew the valve completely and fill with water.Thats as far as i got with mine.Its still full of water while i ponder my next move.
I would await more advice as i hate for anything to go wrong by using my method!!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
this seems to be coming up quite a bit recently, must be the season for woodburners :dunno:

.....Gas bottles have a lefthand thread which means they undo the opposite way to normal nuts.......

not all of them, the one i unscrewed at the weekend wasn't opposite threaded.

i'd quite happily lend a hand tengu, possibly a little far to travel though. i'm sure someone can give you a hand with them though

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I believe as a rule of thumb butane bottles are normally blue in colour and propane bottles are normally orange or red. Butane smells like gas whilst propane has no smell so a foul cabbage smelling additive is added. Also butane would have a right hand thread and propane a left hand thread

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Last one I cut open I just let the gas out, drilled a hole in it (slowly so it didn't build up too much heat) then drilled another hole in it (all the holes on parts I was going to remove anyway) and filled it full of water using a hose.
The two holes allowed water in and air out at the same time.

Then I attacked it with a grinder.

I'm still here <shrugs>

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I would love one or two, but alas too far to go! And I do have doubts if could fit in car back from the Moot....

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...I would apprechiate help with removing the valves if you please.

If you're going to start messing around with gas bottles you're going to need a few tools. Beg or borrow a large adjustable spanner for example. I have several of different sizes, and I use them all some time or another. What fits one bottle might not fit another because as you've probably seen by now there are all sorts of different styles of valve and valve protection/handle on bottles from different manufacturers.

If you look carefully at the thread on the valve (there should be at least a little bit sticking out of the bottle) you can tell if it's left-hand or right-hand threaded. If you can't tell, guess at right-handed, especially if it's a butane cylinder.

You might need to juggle with the spanner a bit to fit it on the valve and have enough room to turn it a bit in the right direction, but it's usually possible. Pipe wrenches like Stillsons are usually a bit bulkier than adjustable spanners so they tend to make things more difficult in confined spaces. On the plus side, they'll grip on just about anything. There are other tools that can do the job too, and very occasionally I'll have to make something up, but you'd probably need welding set for that so it's getting a bit silly unless you're planning to go into production.

You might need to find a way of holding the cylinder to stop it turning. You might need to put a pipe on the end of the spanner if you aren't strong enough to get the valve loose, but don't break the spanner and try not to skin your knuckles or otherwise hurt yourself!

Obviously don't take the valve off a bottle that still has any appreciable amount of gas in it, and obviously do it outside, away from naked flames, sparks, etc. If you can have a friend with at least a bucket of water and some first aid training and kit standing by (not too close by) to render assistance, so much the better. This is not a job to be taken on lightly.

I don't want to know who owns the bottles.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE