Too Soft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I'm hoping someone will know the answer to this... :) Will a rockwell hardness on 44-50 be too soft for chopping temperate forest trees?? :?: Will the edge be prone to chipping?

If i'm not happy with this hardness, can I heat treat it myself?? If so, how? Link, description...? :wave:

hootchi

Settler
Andy's right Andy, the harder it is the easier it will chip and the softer it is the easier it will roll but be easier to sharpen than the hardened but not keep sharp as long.... :wink:

I don't know exact hardnesses but British Blades could help you with that.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
What is edge 'rolling'? :?:

Rhapsody said:
if you could heat treat it yourself
Funnily enough I thought about that and was browsing some sites about it. :D That might be a good idea, but i've never tried things like that before and only got one chance if I get the knife. :wink: :naughty:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Edge rolling is when the edge sort of dents. Basically the edge will have a small roll-over if it strikes something hard...

Sajuma

Dec 19, 2003
Near Geneva
50 Rockwell is good for swords and such but it is bit too soft for knives.
If it's for chopping it might be enough since the blade wont brake so easily.
If you sharpen the blade you might want to go even 30-35 degree, this way the rolling of the edge is not so important.

Juha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE