Too much Kit

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
I think the secret of lightweight is in the size of the rucksack. You will pack your rucksack until it's full. Bigger pack=more stuff in it, smaller pack=more compromises, more creativity. I have a 40l backpack, and its comfortably enough for summer, and barely enough for winter. My full pack weight nowadays for a 3 day/2 night weekend is about 11-12kg, with 3l water.

shelter&sleep:

- that cheap 3x2m tarp that rattles in the wind if not tight enough
- some cord
- 1kg sleeping bag (2kg bag for winter)
- closed cell foam pad
- wool socks
- cap
- polypro t-shirt (and soon a polypro longjohn)
- polartec sweatshirt

food&water

- ramen noodles or alike freeze dried pasta if the weight is important (much hike);
- or bread, bacon, sausage, onions if i want to feel good :)
- 3l camelbak unbottle
- sometimes a first need deluxe water purifier pump (about 0.45kg)
- tatonka sherpa 1l stainless pot with lid
- steel spoon

other things

- silva field26 compass on lanyard around my neck
- petzl myo xp led headlamp
- first aid kit
- fallkniven F1 knife
- victorinox huntsman folder
- some cheap but good folding saw
- 3-4 bic lighters, scattered around in pockets everywhere
- swedish firesteel (the small, scout model, accidentaly)
- small bio degradeable unscented soup
- canon a60 digital camera

In winter there is a second polartec sweatshirt and a 2kg sleeping bag instead of the 1kg.
The polar pullover and polypro underwear are not cold even when wet, and its not that rainy here, so i dont really need proper raingear, but add that to your kit for your own safety if you feel the need.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
The reference to the size of the pack and how much stuff you end up taking is something to think about. But a lot of people probably have only one good pack for overnight use anyway, so that many not always be useful information.

In my own case, I find that the difference in what I take between winter and summer, or more correctly, cold weather and warm weather, is not that great. For cold weather, there is a sleeping bag but that is too much as the temperature is higher and a wool blanket or a US Army poncho liner is substituted. I find that trying to substitute for the sleeping bag at cooler temperatures by wearing a jacket of some sort doesn't work for me. Also, the relevant temperature is whatever it is a 3:00 AM, not at 3:00 PM, which can be a big difference. So I tend to lean towards the sleeping bag and part of the reason is the softness as a bed compared with the alternatives. We have two sleeping bags in the house (everyone in the family uses them now and then) and they are both 25 years old. In fact, most of my stuff is that old on the average.

I also carry a couple of other warm things in cold weather but the biggest difference is the bulk of the sleeping bag.

But there is more to it than that. I also note that the food and water (if carried) are a large part of the weight, at least the way I go about it. Water is always problematic. I have always carried more than I have drunk but I probably don't drink enough water. I don't have a filter of any sort but have relied on boiling water to take care of that end. But that leaves you with warm water and even the following morning it can still be warm if it is anywhere near as warm as it sometimes is around here, just like it will be today. But I guess I could try putting the water bottle in the creek and cool it that way.

I always have a tent because I think the insects are bad where I go during the summer. In cold weather the tent makes a big difference in warmth. But the tent, poles and pins weigh four pounds and I think it's worth it.

It sure is hard to keep the weight down, isn't it?

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
drop the K and F from your KFS. If you have a bivvy do you need a basha? (or vice versa). Tin mug = no mess tins. Sorry to be a heretic but I think trangias are rubbish unless you can walk 100m to the shop selling your next hit of meths. I have used an optimus for 20+ years and can find petrol anywhere, so that one small sig bottle is enough

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
hey bob, a good idea is to check the dates on the threads you are replying too mate....Welcome to the forums :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE