Too heavy for a couple of nights wild camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
I don't think that is excessive at all - my normal 3-nighter backpack:

Thermarest
Sleeping Bag
Cooking Stuff
Food
Tarp
Bivvy Bag etc.

weigh's 14kg. Add spare clothes and the usual 3 litres of water I'll take with me, it's been known to be up to 19kg and I find that quite comfortable for upto about 5 - 6 miles. Starts getting a little tiring after that, so I think 12kg is good :)

Then again I am 6 '3" and fairly meaty!

Last edited:

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
Well for one night I have....and i've tried really hard to thin out...

DD Hammock
DD Tarp
Sleeping Bag (old Heavy thing!)
Coleman Mat
Blacks Mess tin set
Crusader Set
Head Torch
Maglight DD4 - the Big one!
Lap Saw
Mora
Tiny Shovel
Storage Net Hammock
. then the food! Individually not heavy items.....but total of 20kg...

Luckily I dont have to walk far!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
This may sound a bit obvious but for toiletries try an independent chemist my local lifestyle pharmacy sells Dr Bronners They will do travel toothbrushes and small toothpastes
You can also ask your dentist receptionist if they have any small sample toothpastes
or you could invest in one of these fellas http://www.racingtheplanet.co.uk/store/toob-brush.html
I have one and its a better idea than it is in reality Basically its damned difficult to get much toothpaste in the tube
when mine is worn out I have already decided I am going back to small brush and tooth powder So save your money

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I went all over langdale and bagged a few wainwrights with a 13kg pack :p I did notice the wait but if your fishing and just generally chilling out, and walking on relatively flat ground you shouldnt have any probs.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I'm 40 years old and I still carry 40ish lbs around Dartmoor and The Black Mountains. Nothing's worth doing if it's too easy.

I too am a 40+ walker and have walked many a mile with very heavy packs on ,,,this{ Nothing's worth doing if it's too easy } your knees will tell you different in few years !!!!!
Get your pack as light as you can, sub 10kilo pack is what your after, its just so much better on your body ,and makes your days walking more enjoyable

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE