Too early to have flown the nest

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is it too early for blue tit chicks to have hatched, fledged, flown the nest and grown to near adult size?

I would have said "yes of course it is"

Then I saw this :confused:

475819052_b6792609af.jpg

Left me curious!

Red

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm no expert, but I wonder if this is courting behaviour rather than feeding of young. Fledgling blue tits have a rather faded appearance, and the colours on that bird look quite 'bright'.
Some birds, especially raptors and grebes feed each other during courtship, and I was wondering whether blue tits do the same ?
It does seem very early in the year to see fledglings :confused:
Regards,
Doug.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
We have seven(at least!) eggs in the bird box on our fence, they have been laid in the last week, did have a baby robin(I think) in the kitchen last week that was pretty big.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Young Blue Tits have Yellowish cheeks, the one in the photo is def' white so probably a courtship going on.
It'll take around a month from laying to fledging a B.T. brood.
Usually only one brood per year but occasionally two in certain areas.
Tom.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It doesnt look like a chick to me

chicks are smaller and have a less refined appearance

But tits may nest early

(not as early as blackbirds though, who may lay in january)

Bobbin

Jan 20, 2007
England
Some blue-tits have taken up residence in a bird box on my garage wall, adults have been coming & going for about two weeks now but no sight (or sound) of any youngsters yet.... I think they're just a bit slow off the mark round here this year :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I've just enjoyed ten minutes watching a newly-fledged robin on a nearby bush cheeping away in between feeding visits from mum/dad...a ball of fluff that is already almost as big as its parents! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE