Tommy lighter - any info?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi the collective good

I recently bought a Tommy Pipe Lighter. It's a lovely little lighter and so far I think it's a cracking design. Great to hold, looks lovely, and has a reservoir for spare fluid, so it does not all evaporate like in a zippo.

I've tried to find out more about the lighters, but am drawing a blank. I'd love to know some history of the lighters and the design. Any of you know any info or links to any?

image.jpg

Cheers all :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 46

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have heard that they were produced in WW1 for the troops and that is why they were called "tommy" lighter: viz"Tommy Atkins". They were certainly very common when I was a child and popular with WW2 personnel. Most of the old boys I knew who were WW1 veterans had one. My grandfather always used to carry one, despite being a non-smoker, as part of his EDC along with a huge army jacknife.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Thanks for that. This one looks very clean for a potential age as it has. It's a cracking little lighter and will be much cherished .

I have heard that they were produced in WW1 for the troops and that is why they were called "tommy" lighter: viz"Tommy Atkins". They were certainly very common when I was a child and popular with WW2 personnel. Most of the old boys I knew who were WW1 veterans had one. My grandfather always used to carry one, despite being a non-smoker, as part of his EDC along with a huge army jacknife.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Believe it or not there was an actual army issue one of these..I have one that is dated 1944 with the broad arrow /I\ mark.Never seen the pipe lighter version..not too common.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Had to look up a Tommy Lighter, must admit be rather taken with them. Might try and track one down.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I believe it :)
Pic if you have one?
Believe it or not there was an actual army issue one of these..I have one that is dated 1944 with the broad arrow /I\ mark.Never seen the pipe lighter version..not too common.

And not far away from me too :)
If ever you want to sell. I have a friend who has a hankering for one.
I've got the same one kicking about. came with a second hand zippo of fleabay. prefer it over the zippo too :)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
P1090359.jpgHeres my two.The right hand one is Arrow marked on the lid.Both work after a new flint and cotton wool.You tend to find these buried in Antique shop cabinets.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Very nice.

Cannot quite make out the name? Davies and ??? Be interested in a maker then I could try google again.

Just discovered my 'reserve tank' is not holding the fluid. I think it's just the seal that's old. Will sort a replacement and try it again.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Davis & Heaps of Birmingham is the maker of the right hand one.I think the dated ones are fairly rare...ive only seen one in the past 5 years..

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396634957.933283.jpg Mine arrived today. It a bit battered and bruised, needs the perished rubber band cleaning off, a new flint and filling up.

I think it's been issued as it has an arrow on the lid.

I must admit to being rather attached to it already. Has a very nice "feel" to it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
View attachment 29677 Mine arrived today. It a bit battered and bruised, needs the perished rubber band cleaning off, a new flint and filling up.

I think it's been issued as it has an arrow on the lid.

I must admit to being rather attached to it already. Has a very nice "feel" to it.

Did you buy the Oxfam one in the end?

You probably know this, but the arrow means it was MOD issue.............:)

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
I did indeed buy the OxFam one. Don't smoke (anymore) but despite the price I wanted it. Glad I did in the end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE