Tomahawks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if the hawk arrives in time (and it'd better, it was posted on friday) it'll be with me at the meet.
i'm looking forward to playing with it.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
well my cold steel riflemans hawk arrived today,
so here are my first impressions....
it arrived at work, and i opened it in the crewroom. people were a little disturbed.........
it's bigger than i thought but not exessivley so.
the blade has a rather narrow profile and has a 4" cutting edge. opposite the blade is a hammer head, handy for driving in pegs etc.
the hawk did not arrive as sharp as i have come to expect from cold steel but a little work with a stone soon had a paper cutting edge.
the head is attached to the handle by a taper fit, although it has an allen head grub screw to secure the head more firmly.
(the fit of the handle to head was not brilliant however. )

i took the hawk out to a small wood out back of the crewroom for a play,
i made a few feather sticks and split a few logs as well as a little light chopping.
it performed reasonably well on the feathersticks, easily producing curls. splitting was not quite as good due, i think to the narrow blade, but still not bad.
general chopping was fairly good achieving decent penetration on each swing (the narrow profile may have helped here) although the narrow shaft could become tiring after a while.

it could do with a case/blade cover, but i can easily make one, and personaly i'd prefer the shaft to be a little thicker for a more comfortable grip

so overall
quality 7/10
value 8.5/10

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE