Tomahawk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

St Samwise

Jun 20, 2009
penrith
For a number of years I have wanted a proper tomahawk. My grandad was a partime blacksmith while he worked as a gamekeeper and mademe a very small tomahawk when i was 5 or six, it was and is blunt and yet brilliantly balanced and was my most prized position as a child, it went everywhere with me and i have lent it out to a small cousin on the condition that breakges are payed with by death :p Anyway i was wondering if andbody knows a tomahawk that is not a gransfors, i do use their axes, SFA and double bit working, but as this is for playing around with i dont want to shell out 135 quid, i wish i could. I have seen theese http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/sho.../Product/Tomahawk+Single+Handed+Throwing+Axe/ but wonder if they would be suitable for bush work as they are advertised as a throwing axe, if you know any models or makes i dont please let me know

Thanks

Samwise

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I can't say for certain, but I imagine that most axes advertised as throwing axes will be a bit on the soft side for real cutting/carving, since they're meant to withstand solid impacts. The same is usually true for throwing knives. I imagine this may be quite a common problem with tomahawks, though can't be sure - I'd really like to get my hands on a small tomahawk myself, so I'll be watching this thread intently. I really love the look of one hatchet shown in Nessmuk's Woodcraft:

09-gw-hatchet.gif

Which, while probably not technically a tomahawk, is at least tomahawk-ish :p If you're looking for a small one, and want a hammer poll (may as well IMO!) you may be able to find someone who will forge one out of an old cross pein - I'm going to try that route if I can't find one I like that's small enough (about 1-1.5' helve) but I've no idea how much it would cost. Bigger axes can be done this way too of course, with a bigger hammer, but I daresay it may be more cost effective to buy one ready.

Pete

St Samwise

Jun 20, 2009
penrith
yes i supose you have a point about the hardness of blade, although mine will be used for coppicing and the odd thicker tree i bet it would still be a problem

Samwise

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks like a perfectly serviceable hawk that. Probably not much use as an axe (as they state). Cold steel do a decent range - the riflemans is quite like the one Draven illustrates and the throwing more like the one the woodsmith store has.

They are cheap and cheerful but fun

This one is also fun...but not made any more :(

3745632171_3f178ee70a_o.jpg

Red

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
You always get the nicest shinies Red :p

Cheers for the heads up on Cold Steel, I've seen them but expected them to be rubbish - do they hold an OK edge? They say they're 1055, which I thought would be a bit low carbon, but I know little to nothing about what steels are good for axes.. reckon I'm torn between the rifleman's hawk and the trail hawk, the former having a longer cutting edge and the latter looking to have a better finish... according to the pics on cold steel UK anyway. Reckon they'd both look fine cut down to about 14" handles too!

Cheers
Pete

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Riflemans is a heavy old beast. More like an axe than a hawk in my view. I'd sooner carry a "proper" axe. The throwing hawk is fun though,

Both seem to keep an okay edge tbh.

I like Pignuts one too :)

Old Pa

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2009
Northwoods
The two Cold Steel hawks I have were both made in China for American Tomahawk years ago. Both of mine are of the rifleman type with a hammer face on the poll. Both were made of steel that my file says is significantly softer than, for example, Council Tools axe heads, but on a par with the steel hardening Council puts on their ground grubbing implements. The up side is they are less likely to chip. The downside is they don't hold an edge like a harder steel.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
I have a CS Trail hawk. First thing I did was clean off the black paint.Holds an ok edge. I use it camping,hunting (handy for splitting pelvis bones) and light cutting work around the
place.Not bad for the money if you understand its limits.
Jon R.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Bravo4 - they don't ship overseas unless you spend upwards of $200 sadly :(

St Samwise - same here :p I won't be able to get a hold of one until a bit into next month though sadly. Cold Steel have videos of their hawks though, just in case you want to know if you can chop into a car door with one :rolleyes: :p

Lurch - They do look like sweet hawks!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Dunno whether to go for the french or the British version.
Reckon I'll get both and see which I prefer when they come.
;)

Have you got an "Axe Room" in your house Mark?

I've got an image of a room like the one on "Highlander" where Conner McLeod stabs himself, but instead of being full of historical artefacts is just full of fine axes.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE