Tom Brown Tracker Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I read some feedback from the people behind the knife fights in the film. They were forced to use the knife and even less impressed than this forum with it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Minotaur, I know what you mean. :rolleyes: However lets leave that topic there.

The suitability, or otherwise, of a knife for fighting is neither here nor there for this forum and is not something that is discussed.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I apologise for wandering of topic. You should see me on the trail :( Take one of the redhandled Moras in hand. Excluding cosmetics it's pretty much what people have accepted and recognised as a good using knife. You can use exotic damascene blades, fossil Ivory handles and add your family crest or ranch brand to the same design. It will cost a lot more but make you aesthetically happy. Both will still cut,carve, whittle,split and stick stuff we've been cutting etc. for centuries. Now pick up anything that purpotes to improve or combine on traditional patterns of cutting tools. A. it costs a lot B. it never measures up against those red handled Moras, Wetterling axes, Crocodile machetes that combined cost less with money left over C. any surviving traditional Inuit, New Guinea Highlander or Masai cattle herder would look at the two choices and choose the familiar. ;)

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Mr. Beck has made a number of customs along the same lines, but with far better edges according to those that have compared. He cannot call his a "Tracker" so it is the Wilderness Survival Knife.

Hardly my idea of a wilderness or survival knife. As suggested above, a saw, folding knife, and much smaller conventional knife seem more practical -- or a knife/axe combination.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Sorry,

I noticed that not a lot of people had used the knife(might have something to do with the price).

What I was trying to say was they handled it for three months and did not have a good word to say about it.

What could you get for $275 + p&p?

Frosts Miltary Mora $11.00
Cold Steel Bushman $25.00 (or a Bill Hook, Machette)
Bow saw $20.00
(If you are someone with this axe fetish, replace the Bushman and saw with one)
Opeinel No.8 $15.00

With that much to spend I might even be tempted to go for one of those Chris Reeve knifes or the chainsaw commando saw. I just know if I spent that much on a knife, it would spend it's days in a glass case so I did not lose it or break it.

regards

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Where are you from Minotaur? Price wise, the TOPS Tracker comes in about £155 or so at current exchange rates. That is less than some places are asking for the Wilkinson Sword made Woodlore, which a lot of people here have bought.

I think if it was considered to be a good tool the price would not be an issue to many people. As it is, for that money you can get a set of good tools that will be a joy to use, or one useful, practical knife that will also see more use.

:D The thought of putting a Tracker in a glass case incase it got damaged is very funny1 :D

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Despite the use of the dollar, I am a Brit.

I just could not deal with it. I lost my complete survival/bushcraft kit about 8 years ago and replacing stuff has been a nightmare so nothing expensive or hard to get hold off goes in it. We went off site and being a good citzen left all the cutlery etc on site, and we where robbed.

Hardest to replace item, a copy of Scouting for Boys. It cost me a fiver but was the 14 reprint of the pre-70's version, i.e. the original without modern editing. They have just brought it out again but the older version was smaller and nicer.

It changed my outlook on what I carried and why I carried it. Frosts and Opinels are cheep but well made. It means I can have 4 or 5 setups for the price of one expensive knife. I like to use designs that have stood the test of time, not the latest fad.

B

Bob Hurley

rapidboy said:
:eek:

TrackerKnife.jpg

:confused:

I recognize the design now - it's for fileting the wallets of new bushcrafters.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Not to bash the tracker anymore, but I can take Minotaur's logic further. With $275 USD I bought my Wiggys superlight mummybag @ $150 when my ancient down bag finally gave out and 'upgraded' my core survival knife from a $8 Mora to a $85 fallkniven F1. My old surplus rucksack literally fell off my back the same week and was replaced by a new german army daypack for $35. I had $35 left from my weekly salary at the time and managed petrol and lunch for the next 7 days. I just sold the Fallkniven for $100. I think I'll hide my money for transport and food somewhere wild. :cool:

B

Bazman

hi all, i own a tracker, but have not as of yet had a chance to give it a decent trial! as it needs sharpening as the edge is not that keen from new.

the weight issue i havent noticed, probably from lumping weights around the gym allday :D , as for cost if you purchase from the states and haves it shipped ova ull be hit for £80 from customs, so not much diff from buying from a well known site in this country, how ever u can get it for about £175 wiv micarta handel.

it works well for mr brown on his courses as he doesnt teach the conventional style of bushcraft or survival and required equipment for his course inclued a wood rasp!! not the first tool that would spring to my mind for bushcraft.

mine was a gift so im not gonna complain there.

as for the exponants of sayok kali who worked on the film the knife is not tactical in nature so therefore not sutiable to there experiance.

but its deffinatley a nice addition to an ever growing collection.

once ive got it in the field and experimented ill let you know, however i can clearly see how a woolore would be more effective for many jobs.

if your gona worry about loosing sumthing this size then id suggest an optiton :p :confused:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Hi Bazman,

"as for the exponants of sayok kali who worked on the film the knife is not tactical in nature so therefore not sutiable to there experiance."

Not wanting to get tactical but I think the main thing they kept saying was 'it was very jack of all trades and master of none'. They would rather have used multiple knives, than just the one. The only good things they had to say about it where tactical. In the kali systems a lot of the blades used are bushcraft daily carries in South-East Asia i.e. machettes etc.

I'm going to stop now and not get told off again by the mods.

What I was trying to say in my first post was that these people had used it daily for 3 or 4 months and could not stand it.

My personally opinion comes down to the fact that it is too expensive for my kit but if Tom wants to send me one to test or anyone is feelling generous? Bazman, try this experiment, put your bushcraft kit togeather and then work out how much it all costs and then see how hard it is to replace it all. I am worried about losing it to five finger discount more than anything else but yes, I have to train myself to put things back in their place or they get lost. :rolleyes: :eek:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Minotaur, jamesraykenney

Gentlemen, this is not the place for this discussion!! The use of knives to fight off people, dogs or boars is not bushcraft. The discussion of the pros and cons of spear design for boar has nothing WHATEVER to do with whether the Tracker knife is good for bushcraft. The assertion that you like to carry a gun for defence has nothing to do with the either bushcraft or the original topic of the thread. Britain is not so wild, or overrun with large predators that there is any excuse, legal or otherwise, for people to be running around with cleavers for protection.

Since the original thread has merit, and may yet have some useful posts added I am not locking it. I am however removing your posts as they dilute what was otherwise a fairly informative thread.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
C_Claycomb said:
Minotaur, jamesraykenney

Gentlemen, this is not the place for this discussion!! The use of knives to fight off people, dogs or boars is not bushcraft. The discussion of the pros and cons of spear design for boar has nothing WHATEVER to do with whether the Tracker knife is good for bushcraft. The assertion that you like to carry a gun for defence has nothing to do with the either bushcraft or the original topic of the thread. Britain is not so wild, or overrun with large predators that there is any excuse, legal or otherwise, for people to be running around with cleavers for protection.

Since the original thread has merit, and may yet have some useful posts added I am not locking it. I am however removing your posts as they dilute what was otherwise a fairly informative thread.

No problem...It was getting offtopic!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE