Tom Brown Tracker (1st version)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
If I was to buy one it would have to be the real deal.
So I suppose I will never have one unless circumstances change, I just can't justify that amount of money when I have a family to suport first.
Although I have a pal who has offered me some 4mm stainless steel, if I get some I may have a little play at one of these just for the sake of it.

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There's a two part video review on youtube, added February 23 2008, from the people of www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com

Thanks Bogeyman, there are some useful videos there, or from their youtube site...

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters

Also some downloadable documentation, including his own thoughts on the ideal knife for Bushcraft, with reference to the smaller knives preferred in the UK :)

http://www.wildernessoutfittersarchery.com/What_Knife.doc

However I have to agree with Jedadiah that the Tracker is as ugly as a robbers dog :)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Oh I don't know if the Tracker is such a bad knife, I think that it has its purpose in certain situations. I mean, yes, its heavy as all hell, looks like a monstrosity, but I'm sure that there are people out there who swear by them. And quite frankly, I think that many of the posters on this forum get themselves a little too wrapped up in the virtues of a Mora-style knife. Some people prefer axes in the bush, some prefer a simple, small SAK, some like Kukri's and yes, some people will prefer the Tracker. Because really, it doesn't matter what a knife looks like, if someone is happy and comfortable using one, then that is the appropriate knife for them.

Adam

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yeah, see you right there addy, i've made an unofficial rule for myself that i don't get on with blade's over 3.5mm thick. I've now realized that if it's 11cm or below long that's true, but i'm now seeing the virtues of longer, thicker blades. I played with a 11cm blade at 4mm thick and did not like it but just got muself a 16cm long 6mm thick Johan Staaf camp knife and it feels so balanced it's fantastic. This weekend i've lined up a new project with an Ontario RTAK which is easily the biggest knife i've worked on bar Goloks. but the project should change it beyond recognition.

My taste in knives is like my waistline, expanding!:rolleyes:

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Looks like a liability. That perculiar grind will get hung up when you need the whole length of the edge and the upsweep point will slide of wood when you try to chop with it.

I really find it difficult to understand why people can't carry the right tools for the job rather than try to shoehorn several different tools into one that dosen't work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE