Today's leathercraft projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've been fairly busy with leather projects today. Here's some of what I've made.

First a couple of sheaths for a member. They supplied the knives and I made sheaths to fit.

sm-sheaths1.jpg

sm-sheaths2.jpg

Then I made a decent cover for my "Light my fire" toasting fork.

sm-grandpas1.jpg

sm-grandpas2.jpg

Then I made an A5 journal cover for a Scout I met last weekend up at Alnwick.
It contains an A5 spiral bound sketch pad.

sm-journal1.jpg

sm-journal2.jpg

Then I decided to pimp my other hip flask.

sm-hipflask1.jpg

sm-hipflask2.jpg

sm-hipflask3.jpg

sm-hipflask4.jpg

After some trial and error I discovered the best way to get the leather to hug the inside profile at the back of the flask was to use double sided carpet tape. It worked out OK.

Thanks for looking,

Eric

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
nice work as usual Eric!, nice looking knife by John Millington there aswell

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Never mind the leatherwork, anyone who can do Celtic Knotwork is very high in my estimation

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cracking as always Eric! what do you use to colour the 'pics' in , i'm guessing a permanent marker for the lines otherwise you have a real fine brush and an even steadier hand!!:eek:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
cracking as always Eric! what do you use to colour the 'pics' in , i'm guessing a permanent marker for the lines otherwise you have a real fine brush and an even steadier hand!!:eek:

I just use a regular gel pen for the lines (which is waterproof when it dries) and acrylic ink for the colour.

EdS

THe bladers are mine - the little one gets used for just about every thing. The shaped just made itself whilst we were forging some old Land Rover springs. Turns out is a very good shape for general work - kitchen, herb/garden gathering, scrapping, trimming. I've even removed 4-5" branches with it.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
very neat work indeed what tool do you use to do th carving work ? .

I dampen the leather to soften it, I cover it with clingfilm to keep the moisture in then I place a drawing of the image over the clingfilm and tape it in place. Then I take a normal gel pen and go over the drawing outlines with a firm pressure. This transfers the image to the leather. Then I strip off the clingfilm and let the leather dry, with the impression permanently pressed into the surface.
Once dry, I go over the grooves again with a gel pen which is waterproof when dry. Then I add colour.
Finally, I go over the whole thing with neutral shoe polish, rub it well in and buff with the "taking off" brush.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I dampen the leather to soften it, I cover it with clingfilm to keep the moisture in then I place a drawing of the image over the clingfilm and tape it in place.

cover it with cling film! - why didn't I think of that!!! :togo: I have just been using the 'work quick before the paper goes too soggy' technique :banghead:

cheers Eric, another top tip! :35:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
cover it with cling film! - why didn't I think of that!!! :togo: I have just been using the 'work quick before the paper goes too soggy' technique :banghead:

cheers Eric, another top tip! :35:

Yes indeed. I switched to using good quality tracing paper, which doesn't stretch like plain paper, but it does wrinkle up a bit.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE