Todays find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Fiver in a junk shop. Clean3d the dust off and filler cap says Primus but cannot find a model anywhere.
Any ideas ? And how do I best get verdigris off ?

C4D9C2C1-E0D8-40C4-AB9A-673F2C89B4CC.jpeg

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Bargain ! A number 1or 5 ?
Any numbers underneath?
Give it a good wash then clean with Autosol metal polish. Don’t use Brasso or similar as it takes the zinc out of the brass.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
OK, have cleaned it up a bit, but still no sign of a model anywhere. Mystery stove on right, a No 5 Primus.
Is it usual for them to not have the model number engraved on ?
Any ideas ? I guess I just assume its a 1 or 5 as most bits seem to be interchangeable ?

640D86BB-0CB1-43E2-957C-429BC6173EC7.jpeg

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
The plot thickens........
Something rattling round in the tank, turns out to be this........looks like an old lead washer ? Where from ?

Tried to take out the NRV but cannot seem to seat the tool on it, mine seems to be 5 mm slot width but the valve looks a bit wider, is that possible ?

B98095F3-8F4B-40A4-A22B-085EFB7892E7.jpeg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The plot thickens........
Something rattling round in the tank, turns out to be this........looks like an old lead washer ? Where from ?

Tried to take out the NRV but cannot seem to seat the tool on it, mine seems to be 5 mm slot width but the valve looks a bit wider, is that possible ?

The NRV valve has a lead washer to be sealed with. It could have come from a previous replacement of the valve as they sometimes stick and you have to scrape them off to remove.

Personally I wouldn't remove the NRV unless absolutely necessary.

You can check it's sealing properly by blocking the burner tube, pump the tank up to get pressure then stick it in a bucket of water. That will show you if the seals are good.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Even more craziness.........the fuel cap says Primus on both sides, but the pressure release key says British on o e side and Burmos the other side. Whats going on ? Is it a Primus or a Burmos ?.
Good news is the bucket test seems to show its holding pressure so will try firing it up at some point.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Even more craziness.........the fuel cap says Primus on both sides, but the pressure release key says British on o e side and Burmos the other side. Whats going on ? Is it a Primus or a Burmos ?.
Good news is the bucket test seems to show its holding pressure so will try firing it up at some point.

Sounds like someone lost a part and replaced it with similar from either a Burmos or Primus.

I'm leaning towards it being a Burmos as Primus usually marked their tanks with the model and company logo.

As for firing it up I'd wait until you get the rest of the burner head

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Should say spare parts are readily available from either Base Camp in Peterborough or The Fettle Box.

Both owners are extremely knowledgably and helpful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE