todays bargain

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
went down to the local hardware store today to get a new handle for my axe, came out with the handle but also one of these
for free because there was a tiny split near the head, glued it back up and put one of these things round it:
DSC_7251-1.jpg

lonja

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I'm all for repairs, but i sure to hell hope i'm never stood in front of you while your swinging that axe :(

There is a time and a place for bodge jobs, in my opinion axe's aren't one of them.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I'm all for repairs, but i sure to hell hope i'm never stood in front of you while your swinging that axe :(

There is a time and a place for bodge jobs, in my opinion axe's aren't one of them.

Sound advice, I think the shop should have given you a fault-free handle rather than an free jubilee clip thing.... I would not be happy using it!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It does seem irresponsible of the shop to sell you a faulty handle and suggest such a bodge. A problem you will have is that the Jubilee clip will have created stress raisers where it's tightened on the handle and it could fail in a rapid and dramatic fashion.

I'd change the handle for a good one, sorry

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
I, don't really mind if I have to replace the handle soon, I'll try it, is not as if the split it's more than a tiny splinter. My axe tend to look worse before I replace them.

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Had a similar Axe (Stick with a metal bit on it) that was cracked in the same place also had a jubilee clip on. The head came off and lucky for me bounced on to another tree then through my bonnet of my car. I was well peed off to say the least I then took the bits to the place of purchase (BIG DIY STORE) who haggled with me after some time they sent me some compensation and a letter stating that tho they had given compensation they were not at fault. I don't use the store now and refuse to use heavy tools with any sign of damage.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Have a go at re-handling an axe. Might not be super strong, but less dangerous than that handle. Like other have said, don't go swinging that around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE