Tobacco tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Does anyone know if tobacco embers or lights from sparks, if so it would be a fantastic survival tool for lighting fires!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Generally it's a bit damp to take a spark ,but I suppose if you dried it out it would.Very expensive way of doing it though,Try some birch bark,it's free and easy to collect.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have some very dry old stuff at home so I`ll give it a bash tonight and let you know.

Like sapper said though there are plenty of other tinders out there which do work and cost nothing.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Does anyone know if tobacco embers or lights from sparks, if so it would be a fantastic survival tool for lighting fires!

In a survival situation, the last bit of tinder a smoker would try and use would be his or her baccy, not going to happen, you would carve a pipe to smoke your dog ends if you ran out of papers before trying to light them:rolleyes:

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Yeah fair point Rich hadn't thought about that, I'd probably be doing just that sort of thing before trying any leaves I could dry out in quick time to take it's place Ha Ha!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Interesting suggestion . . . however, the tobacco in pre-rolled cigarettes is more in flakes, which are very small and I expect it would be quite difficult to get a decent ember with. They are, however, pretty dry. Rolling or pipe tobacco, on the other hand, is in long strands and clumps together quite nicely, but isn't dry, as sapper1 pointed out. Not really a happy medium unfortunately :p Except Drum tobacco, which is clumpy and dry. Can't stand the stuff :yuck: But that's neither here nor there :p

Atb
Pete

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
:p Except Drum tobacco, which is clumpy and dry. Can't stand the stuff :yuck: But that's neither here nor there :p
you must have had a duff pouch.Mines always moist and compact.
If you tease it out its fine.:D

A burning fag end IS an ember.You can relight the free radicals on a taylor made with a firesteel but it is much harder with a rolly due to the higher humidity of the tobbacco.Taylor mades are only 94% backy, the rest is saltpetre, preservatives and 'burn enhancers.'
Dried out rolling tobacco crumbles into dense snuff. I doubt if you could get a plie of it burning unless you carefully shaved of some of your firesteel or a magnesium block and added it to the mix.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sacrilege! In that sort of situation, the main reason you're trying to get a fire lit is to light a ciggie... I'd sooner burn my clothes.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
you must have had a duff pouch.Mines always moist and compact.
If you tease it out its fine.:D
Might need to give it another try then, Golden V can get a pit expensive :rolleyes:

A burning fag end IS an ember.You can relight the free radicals on a taylor made with a firesteel but it is much harder with a rolly due to the higher humidity of the tobbacco.Taylor mades are only 94% backy, the rest is saltpetre, preservatives and 'burn enhancers.'
That is a good point, to be honest I was thinking about the tobacco on its own rather than still in a cigarette :eek: Leaving it rolled does make more sense!

Atb
Pete

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
You could use dried peat as a firelighting source. If you're desperate enough you can even smoke it. I did as a kid lol. But put in a horse hair for good measure :D

Happy smoking!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Sacrilege! In that sort of situation, the main reason you're trying to get a fire lit is to light a ciggie... I'd sooner burn my clothes.

Very true, how many spare packets of ciggies or baccy do you have around the house/ car/rucsac?

I reckon I have about 12 packs stashed as emergency rations lol

munchuk

Jun 8, 2011
nottingham
i had a pack of rubbish snide drum for age as emergency bacca its fowl tasting stuff glad i kept it now might go and try it this afternoon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE