To ventile or not to ventile - advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Hi folks; been saving the pennies and I now have enough for a "proper" bushy jacket. Today I tried on the Country Innovation Rover which I thought seemed to be the Rolls Royce of the breed. BUT - it's far too warm and heavy for year round use. I reckon it would be great for the winter but I can't see me using it from now (April) to about September.
My spec is:
  • A jacket rather than a smock.
  • Double rather than single Ventile (though if people advise me that single is adequately waterproof, I might change my mind)
  • All year round use (with as many fleeces as seems appropriate...)
  • Silent
I will mainly use it for day forays into the woods, stalking, birdwatching and other bushy things and/or those occasions where I don't have to carry all my kit. (I don't expect to be walking long distances in it as I have loads of lightweight backpacking kit)

I am quite taken with this:

http://www.countryinnovation.com/clothing/jackets/osprey-jacket.html

seems lighter and they say it's silent (They make whole garments out of this "innovation" stuff). My only gripe is i wanted something that was wholly made of natural materials.

What do people think? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I have a suggestion Kerne; The Keela Falkland (Single Layer) http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/138/s/falkland-jacket/category/3/ (don't pay any regard to the price, you can get it waaaaay cheaper than the RRP!!)

I use it in all weather and I use it with a regatta fleece or the Keela fleece zipped-in as and when I need them. I've never worried about it soaking through, although I'd guess it's not as robust as a double layer. I will admit that I'm a man who believes in layering and water management rather than waterproofing though! Just something to think about.......;)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have a suggestion Kerne; The Keela Falkland (Single Layer) http://www.keela.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/138/s/falkland-jacket/category/3/ (don't pay any regard to the price, you can get it waaaaay cheaper than the RRP!!)

I use it in all weather and I use it with a regatta fleece or the Keela fleece zipped-in as and when I need them. I've never worried about it soaking through, although I'd guess it's not as robust as a double layer. I will admit that I'm a man who believes in layering and water management rather than waterproofing though! Just something to think about.......;)

Thanks, I like the fact that it hasn't got a hood - The osprey jacket I was looking at has a detachable one which suits me as i usually wear a wide-brimmed hat - and, as you say, it can be found cheaper.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The Rover was too warm for me too.

I prefer a single layer ventile and use a Hilltrek Braemar smock,never been wet inside.

I had a Country innovation Kestrel too but found it too warm also.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Thanks, I like the fact that it hasn't got a hood - The osprey jacket I was looking at has a detachable one which suits me as i usually wear a wide-brimmed hat - and, as you say, it can be found cheaper.

The Falkland comes with a hood, but like the Osprey, it is detatchable by means of press-studs. The hood is peaked, with a wire insert making it very handy in the driving rain (although I too nearly always wear a hat). I forgot to mention that the Falkland is lined with another material, making it slightly warmer and more comfortable than your average single layer ventile (imho).

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I reckon that, for the time of year that you'll be wearing it (April - September), single Ventile is the better option: it's lighter, far more 'breathable' and so a great deal more versatile. If the heavens do open on you, I'd recommend having a lightweight Goretex Paclite or equivalent jacket that you can wear either instead or underneath. The double Ventile is great when it is significantly colder and more regularly gnarly; it's a bit much for late spring through to early autumn.

I'm afraid I'm useless at recommending a model or a brand. The single Ventile I've got is a Bison Bushcraft thing but I don't think they make them any more. The best bit about it was the lack of velcro - important if silence is as important as you say.

I don't know if this has been of any help. Good luck with your quest!

I too am looking at getting a ventile smock and I have been weighing up the options for a while, most likely it would be the HillTrek Braemar smock.

One question though, I have heard from a few people that if it rains you put the waterproof underneath the ventile jacket like Tiley mentioned. Why is this? Surely once the ventil gets wet and the rain goes away you will be left with a heavy and wet cotton jacket. Sorry if it is a stupid question.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
My advice is go for single for best all year use and use wool underneath to sop up any moisture that comes through. You will find double too hot for much of spring,summer,autumn. Also, double wets through too, it just takes a bit longer, and then it also takes longer to dry.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Man, it's such a shame that the BCUK jacket isn't being done anymore. However, I believe the design was based on a Westwinds jacket (Tony should be able to point in the right direction) and I've been exceptionally pleased with it. The hood is superb, the jacket has a really good 'fit', colour is perfect, pockets are big enough and in the right places and it is a well though out bit of clothing. It's single layer and I'd expect it to wet out in a serious downpour but, hey ho, can't have everything... It compares well with my issue arctic windproof jacket, although that had much more room inside so I could get it over the old-style body armour and also the Snugpak thermal jacket.

Oo! Just remembered, it's what I'm wearing in my profile above! ;-)

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Lots of good advice - thanks folks.

I am coming round to the idea of single layer ventile. The problem is that you can never find anywhere that actually stocks these garments to try them on.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
One question though, I have heard from a few people that if it rains you put the waterproof underneath the ventile jacket like Tiley mentioned. Why is this? Surely once the ventil gets wet and the rain goes away you will be left with a heavy and wet cotton jacket. Sorry if it is a stupid question.

i find that with waterproof layer underneath it means i dont have to move things about in the pockets, it reduces the annoying swish and russle but it is horses for courses!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Lots of good advice - thanks folks.

I am coming round to the idea of single layer ventile. The problem is that you can never find anywhere that actually stocks these garments to try them on.

I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but 'Survive and Thrive' in Leominster has a couple of ventile garments in stock. Their website is naff, but give them a call if you're interested. They supply a diverse range of gear too.

rg598

Native
I would say, save yourself the insane amount of money and just get a cotton jacket. Regular cotton is tight enough to serve as a wind barrier as well as Ventile, and I find that Ventile, despite the price is not any good as a waterproof layer, so you end up carrying one anyway. Like Tiley said, bring a Goretex jacket for the rain. For the rest of the time, any decent cotton jacket will do just as well as Ventile for a third of the price. That's just my opinion based on my use of the materials. I think Ventile is just a marketing gimmick to sell what used to be army surplus jackets for insane money.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This looks like a good buy on ebay at the moment

Wasn't there a Bulgarian bloke selling some nice jackets on there recently too, I think a few on here bought them

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
This looks like a good buy on ebay at the moment

Wasn't there a Bulgarian bloke selling some nice jackets on there recently too, I think a few on here bought them

The Bulgarian bloke was selling ww2 Gebirgsjager smock reproductions in Ventile IIRC...

A single layer ventile jacket makes a good windproof and showerproof jacket but is not 'waterproof' in heavier rain.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Heritage Research makes some clothing in ventile too.

Eg:
http://www.heritageresearch.co.uk/site/collection/mt-rainier-jacket-ventile/prod_633.html
http://www.heritageresearch.co.uk/site/collection/new-longline-parka-ventile/prod_653.html

They have (seemingly in the past) made a ventile version of the classic M65 jacket.

I'd be interested to see what they retail for?

The stuff is similar to the Everest collection that Nigel Cabourn did a few years ago.... That stuff sold for stratospheric prices.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE