To treat or not to treat ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Simple question realy. When you buy an Gransfors axe, are you suppost to treat the handle (and NO, I dont mean take it to the cinema). I say this as some of the same models of axe as mine have handles (is it "helves") that are darker.

If the answer is yes, then will, say, linseed or danish oil do the job??

Stuart the Intrepid (but not very knowledgable).

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I vaguely remember something about the GB's, they boil in linseed oil and then coat with beeswax. All you need to do it top up the beeswax when it gets rubbed off.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Not too much beeswax, as it becomes very slippery when using the axe, in wet weather!! beware!! as mentioned before once or twice a year with a little wipe with a cloth with a small amount of linseed oil will do, and disposed the cloth properly as in the summer months the cloth will be very flammable, so after using any kind of cloth just soaked it in plenty of water before getting rid of. learn the hard way.
cheers
the interceptor boy.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Steve, we are talking about a gransfors axe here mate and not a freshly carved spoon or something (cant tell as your link just brings me to the forum main page). I presumed that it would already have had "some" treatment and would probably just need a touch-up.

Your advice is probably good for any freshly carved peice of wood but I dont think it applies here mate. Thanks anyway though matey, all answers are appreciated.

Stu the Intrepid.

London Finish as described by Fallow Way here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Forums.html

if you want to do a thorough job then:

Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
Once a year forever after.

This takes a while but leaves a very nice finish that is smooth, not slippery when wet and does not cause rubbing like a cheap varnish finish does.

Steve K

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2004
Eastleigh, Hampshire
It seems that the url is not giving enough detail. If you search for 'London finish' there is a post titled 'Axe Handles' the second post by fallow way give the description.

yep I realised that we were talking about a Gransfors, I've used this method on a couple of small forest axes as well as a cheapy from focus or somewhere.

The finish on the axes (SFA at least) is only very light. The first step involves raising the grain with water and then scraping to get a smooth surface (repeated several times applying less pressure each time).

I was taught this method during a Woodlore Campcraft course in 2004.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE