To much? Not enough?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
Befor i go out i oftern question myself in what i take.

Right now i take the following

Headtorch + spare batterys
Dynamo Torch
Mora
Firesteel
Canteen + Cup
1 small candle
First aid kit
Lighter
Small cooking pot + foldable stove

Now i look at it and think its not that much but as im a efficiant freak i somehow feel i have to much and at the same time lack things!

Any views/suggestions?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Looks minimal enough to me. Any need for two torches though? Or Firesteel if taking your lighter. Or vice versa.

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
Reason for two torches, headlamp is handsfree (also very very light) and the other only works as you crank it. so sort of a backup.
The lighter im not quite sure, as im still learning i guess its just a feel safe item that i really dont need as my firesteel has never let me down!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Reason for two torches, headlamp is handsfree (also very very light) and the other only works as you crank it. so sort of a backup.
The lighter im not quite sure, as im still learning i guess its just a feel safe item that i really dont need as my firesteel has never let me down!

In that case, I think you've narrowed it down to the bare minimum kit for yourself.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i take it its a "day kit" and not an overnighter.

looks cool.

i have similar, set up in a pouch which could pass as a bum bag kinda thing.

only difference is i combined the cup/cooker set up.

headtorch
emergency poncho
rat3
firesteel
5 metres 550 paracord
400ml stainless mug(can cook/boil in it)
redbull can penny stove(fits inside the mug)
couple of hexi blocks (might dump these)
small container of meths
small container with - 2 teabags sweetner etc.
1 alloy tent peg, wound with varying amounts of- duct tape, copper wire, fishing line.
micro 1st aid kit.
1 emergency blanket.
a razor blade
a gerber crucial
a pencil

without being to "survivally" i try to imagine being dropped unexpectedly into a "situation"

this really helps develop this kind of kit,

but its practical for a stroll in the park too. (once i dropped out the RAT3 of course)

weighs bout 1kg.

and i have it next to me now, it changes from time to time but essentially the same. and i feel a little lost if i cant put my hand on it within a couple of seconds.

i also have a CRKT Kiss on my belt (its an early one with no lanyard hole so looks like part of the buckle)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
woolly hat, keeps your head warm (which in turn keeps the rest of you warm), makes a good little foraging bag (make sure you remove all the fruit before using as a hat again, honestly), works as a mitten for handling hot pans etc. depending on the tightness of the knit it can be pressed into service as a water filter. i never leave home without mine.

all that said, i hardly ever leave home without my shemag which is ten times as versatile as a woolly hat, just not quite so good at being a hat!

cheers

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE