To Gransfors Bruks or not to Gransfors bruks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickidan

May 14, 2011
Macclesfield
Hello fellow crafters of the bush!!

Ill be needing myself a hatchet for my bushcrafting adventures - the only problem is im as poor as poor gets. Im trying to decide if i should fork out for a gransfors bruks wildlife hatchet or just keep it cheap and wait for a later date to buy... so im looking at my other options - any ideas?

Im looking at his bad boy at the moment (http://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk/husqvarna-576-92-64-01-hatchet-2170-p.asp)

it looks pretty but does anyone know about the quality?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
id buy a gransfors personly once you have they last for years and because there so nice you tend to make a point of looking after them and keeping them that way.
iv had mine about 6 years and its still like new, holds a good edge too and nice to use, i have a pocket hatchet and a small forest axe myself.
the one your looking at gets good reviews too but iv neva tried one personly
cheers ash

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Do you have much experience with sharpening axes?

If yes then I would recommend the "Argos axe" if you can find one. - They went on sale for £3 about a year ago and I think everyone on here bought one.

I think they are great.

Failing that you could get a bacho axe
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bahco-Splitti...denEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item2eaba0a20c

scrape off the varnish and paint and put a coat of linseed oil on it and you'll have a very good axe that will last a good long time.

one step up is the husquvarna hatchet.

GB are very good - I've used more than my fair share and I'll wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone. BUT they aren't the be all and end all of axes. Especially if like me you are on a budget.
A good tool can be had on the cheap.

All the best

Andy

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
cold steel trail hawk. i just hacked down and uprooted 10 big bushes with mine, and it was light and didnt make my arms ache and did the job fantastically well. i wouldnt put my GB's or cegga axe through any of the punishment that 'hawk takes, and tht means if you are using a GB you are more worried about the axe than what you are trying to do with it.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
cold steel trail hawk. i just hacked down and uprooted 10 big bushes with mine, and it was light and didnt make my arms ache and did the job fantastically well. i wouldnt put my GB's or cegga axe through any of the punishment that 'hawk takes, and tht means if you are using a GB you are more worried about the axe than what you are trying to do with it.

I used my argos axe to cut some steel I was working on at the first skill share. (it was red hot mind) - you'd never catch me even thinking about doing that normally.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
That husky is basically a small splitting hatchet. They used to do a small hatchet very like a GB, but it's not the one you linked to. Quality is good, but the head isn't great for anything other than splitting.

Try and find a small vintage hatchet at local car boot or flea markets. Often they can be bought for next to nothing a with a little TLC are as good as anything made today. I bought a Norlund hatchet for £8 a week or two ago :D

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The husky is a popular axe for a good reason mate, it's deffinately worth the £22! You could spend the £60 and get the gransfurs axe but I reckon the money you save by buying the cheaper axe could be spent on other usefull tools and items that you may need. To be honest mate the cheaper range of axes are just as capable and All they usually take is a little filing and polishing up.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That husky is basically a small splitting hatchet. They used to do a small hatchet very like a GB, but it's not the one you linked to. Quality is good, but the head isn't great for anything other than splitting.

Try and find a small vintage hatchet at local car boot or flea markets. Often they can be bought for next to nothing a with a little TLC are as good as anything made today. I bought a Norlund hatchet for £8 a week or two ago :D

.........Git. :p

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
This question comes up a lot, these are my thoughts on most of the options http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/07/which-is-best-axe-for-carving-bushcraft.html

The difference between expensive and cheap in axes is part how nice it looks and also the grinding, cheap axes sometimes come with truly appalling grinds and need a lot of work with a file before they will ever cut anything. The Bahco is a half way house, mine came with poor grind but 20 minutes with a new file sorted it. I don't have the husky but folks like it and say it comes sharp.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I thought about the GB sf axe a few times but to be honest i prefer the CS trailhawk due to its take down ability. Dont get me wrong the cutting ability of a larger axe is way better than the cs but for splitting firewood and the like its perfect. Not bad as a carver too.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for all your help guys! i just bought the husky - your dead right samon - i need the money for other suplies! like maybe an axe file

Go to homebase or B&Q and get a 3 pack of metal work files and give the blade a goining over untill you reach the desired thickness and profile. Then you can either use fine grade sand paper or a cheap sharpening stone to sharpen and polish it up untill it's sharp enough for your tasks!

Let us know how you get on, if your stuck on how to sharpen it There is a very good guide on here by a knowledgable guy British Red.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
That's Mister Git, to the likes of you lot, thanks very much ;)

Got a couple of Plumbs (as it were) for a fiver on the same day, and a 2 and a 1/2 pound Elwell head as well :D

Could have had some cracking billhooks but I couldn't carry them andanage my 4 year old daughter as well :(

Ha ha ha - very well. :p

Was that in the Uk or on one of your Canada trips?

All the best

Andy

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
UK, but I'm not saying where until I'm satisfied that no more Norlund hatchets are gloating around...

:D

I'll take some pictures of the Norlund in a couple of weeks - it's up at the cottage at the moment :(

I forged a new axe for making longbows last week - I got an unexpected day free and ended it scruffy and aching with a new axe head to show for my troubles.

Pictures next week :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE