TO Billy or nor to Billy that is the question.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
TO Billy or nor to Billy that is the question.

I have recently been considering if it's worth while me getting a billy can, I am happy with a crusader and a swedish mess tin for most of my cooking and when I am going for a longer term more static camp a cast iron Dutch oven and frying pan. But I am starting to consider investing in a Billy can, Possibly a Zebra head (mostly because they are so easy to get hold of) but I am put off by the plastic clips as it will be exposed to naked flames, but I have seen a few non Zebra brand ones that look prommising but are either from Down under or the USA so the postal costs would make it no longer worth while.

So what I am asking is can some one give me a convincing list of reasons TO buy a billy or NOT to buy a Billy and a recommendation of differing brands. :confused:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I have a zebra. It is great. Nice and sturdy. The clip come off. All it's for Is to hold the bail up straight. I say go for a zebra. A good £15 spent. IMO.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have a few billies, 10-12-16cm Zebras and there good bits of kit and well made. I stopped using them as im a bit picky when it comes to packing and find my mess tins pack better and take up less room. Also unless you have two you have to clean it before you can make a brew with it unless you eat BITB meals.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
SAT stove frying pan billy all in one whether over the fire or with the burner covers most angles but i also use the aluminium nesting billies although 3 is an overkill i tend to take one to suit the situation.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have a 12cm zebra which has had a fair amount of use, but before i got it, i used one i made from a tea caddy, these are about 11cm & hold a gas cannister. I have a couple spare if you want one(you pay the p+p)& fancy making a billy yourself.

Rob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Make your own billy from a charity shop stainless steel tea/coffee/sugar storage jar or biscuit tin!
Drill to attach an old knitting needle or fencing wire bail and a wooden button on the lid - spend pennies not pounds and have a unique bill as well!
There are step by step instructions in my book if you have problems visualising this :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've just bought a 14 cm Zebra and used it at the weekend for the first time. Reason? Mainly because it allows me to hang it over the fire on a tripod which frees up space for cooking other things or boiling water.

btw, the plastic clips are removable.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Sad state of affairs, but when I saw the title of the thread, I clicked on it thinking you were discussing an Ikea shelving range!

But on thread, Zebras are nice, but if you like to make your pots nice and shiney after use, stainless steel is a pain to scrub. I use a zebra, but for years I've used cheap nesting aluminium billys which are absolutely fine.

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
i personaly use the 12cm zebra,crusader and a litech frying pan. i have tried every pot pan going since 2000 and i all ways come back to this combination
so many ways to use them. just go with what is best for you atb paul.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I only take a zebra billy if there will be extra mouths to feed. when it's just me I use a crusader mug to cook/ boil with. I have a plastic crusader mug in addition to the steel one so I can boil water, make tea in the plastic mug whist the metal one is back in the fire. Actually that's not the whole story, a big billy is what you need if you are cleaning all your drinking water by millbank bag & then boiling.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I've had a Bulldog set of Ali nesting billys for about 30 years now and found them to be great, and use them a lot, ok over the fire a pain to clean, most of the camping I do is not a walk in so weight is not such an object,

Mostly used when there is a group of us and we are doing group cooking, or I am with the family, or I am cooking on wood, I like keeping my SAT pans for the SAT, as its cleaner.

Just depends on if all you eat is BiB Meals - the all you need is a crusader Cup, I am not a fan of them, so like to cook from fresh unless i have to. from what you say you use a Dutch Oven, Billys are yet another bit of kit that just can make your trip easier, if you take the ones that you will need.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire

I bought a set of them and have used the small sized one for about two years now
They are a bit on the thin side but do what there supposed to

I use mine with my hobo stove and use it to cook in and eat out of and as its 1.1 litre capacity its perfect for boiling a litre of water to purify it before pouring it into a sig bottle

The lid makes an ok cup or frying pan for a single egg

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Heres mine with the hobo stove

STA71701.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE