Titanium Stuff

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Just looking for some recommendations please, I want to sort out some Ti kit for the family camping hols,

I'm looking for

3 piece for knife and spoon set
insulated cups
bowls
plates

they don't need to be the same brand just decent stuff to knock some weight off all the stuff I need to trek about

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Ti is nice (although not everyone gets on with it), but if you want really to knock off weight, you might be better spending the same money elsewhere, at least for now.

Ti is great (I've got some, mostly from Alpkit), but its kind of 'things you get at the very end' stuff.

Alpkit do the MyTi plate https://www.alpkit.com/products/mytiplate for £19. It weighs 63g and is 180mm wide. But Cotswolds do a stainless steel bowl for just £1.70 (down from £4.25 - I think I paid about £3 on deal for much the same thing) http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lifeventure-stainless-steel-camping-bowl-d3412057?id_colour=109. It weighs 150g and is 140mm wide. Even if the latter is a fiver, thats still £14 to save 87g.

Same goes for the KFS set - £6 for a D of E steel set and 95g. Alpkit Ti (which I've got) is 30g and £13. If its money vs weight, then think what else you can swap out.

There was a guy on Outdoor Magic a couple of years ago, who was delighted to have bought Ti tent pegs on Ebay from the US. After pointing out that he could have just got much the same from Alpkit for half the price, we then remembered that he'd bought a Vango tent to go wild camping. The extra money he could have spent on a lighter tent would have been less than he spent on the tent pegs, and he would have knocked off a lot more weight.

But if I'm buying Ti, then Alpkit is probably the cheapest your going to get, but look for special deals from Trekkitt, etc.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The idea that aluminium causes dementia is alive and well on the internet, but there is no evidence that this is the case. The excellent Snopes http://www.snopes.com/cooking-with-aluminum-foil-puts-you-at-risk-for-alzheimers/ looks at the evidence and says 'false'.

The cost of an aluminium pan is a lot cheaper than Ti, and has been pointed out, spreads heat better (Ti is weird like that). In terms of weight, even double has to be seen in context of the whole, and of course wont be any difference in terms of bulk. Choose whatever you like to cook in/eat out of - there is plastic, aluminium, steel or Ti (Kirsten H has a great pros and cons of each here: https://www.backpacker.com/gear/cookware-comparison ), and its for you to judge which is most suitable for you.

But your list was:
3 piece for knife and spoon set
insulated cups
bowls
plates

If you just replaced one of those each over what you've already got (say plastic or aluminium) with Ti, then you possibly talking £13 + £33 (the cup) + £19 + £15. Thats about £75 (if you shop around, etc) per person. Yes, you could get rid of the aluminium if that worries you, but pretty much none of those have even a notional risk. And yes, you'll save some weight, but its perhaps 500g at most. If you have the Lifeventure plastic insulated mug and you swap it out with their Ti version, then your chucking a £9 mug with one for £33 - and saving just 15g.

Scale that up to a family of 4, and thats a lot of money. For not that much difference in weight. If your worried about cooking in aluminium, then go for steel or Ti (£45 for the set from Alpkit). Thats fine. But the family wont care much if they are eating off tupperware, a cheap stainless steal bowl or Ti.

If your worried about weight, think how much the cost of replacing all that kit is, and what else you could do with that cash that would make a bigger difference. Sleeping bag is the obvious one, then tent and sleeping mat. Ti is not low hanging fruit - more of the 80/20 rule.

On the other hand, if there is a deal and you are looking for a new cooking set anyway, then Ti can make a lot of sense, because its something you tend to buy once. Thats how I justify buying my stuff. And because I like shiny things...

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

For Ti have a look at AMG on ebay - I've been using the 1250ml pot and lid/pan since Jan and they are OK.

There's an image of one in my recent post on the BRS wood stove:)

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
+1 AMG Titanium cookware.

I bought 1750ml pot with lid, Ti Spoon & Fork and nice quality storage bag for the pot from ebay last year.

For the price i paid, they're of decent quality and deffo worth it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE