titanium Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murdo

May 18, 2010
N Wales
I am seriously thinking of ordering one of these for Kifaru 8 man.

In fact, if they were not showing out of stock....

Has anyone imported one or used one and would still recommend or would suggest steering away from a specific model. at moment thinking of Titanium Dog.

ps anyone thinking of selling theirs, give me a shout .
Cheers

Murdo

May 18, 2010
N Wales
never post without glasses :) Should say Ti Goat or Fourdog or similar :)

Like looking stove Twodogs....are you pleased with it?

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Murdo, I'm in the same boat as you mate

Pretty much decided I'm having a TI stove this winter. Atm its a toss up between an oval kirafu or the more budget minded seek outside range

I keep looking at others like the kni-co one's though, I'm not 100% convinced on the durability of the TI stoves, esp the roll up flue's

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hmmm, on a second viewing the wifi's do look good....both the wifi and seek outside have dampers. that's a point against kifaru

I can see how the wifi would be more robust than the kifaru. Nice captive nuts for the wifi's bolts too

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I agree absolutely with the opinion of the Kifaru oval. The key difference/advantage of the WiFi stove from Ti Goat is that the load of the stove weight - plus any pots on the top - is transferred directly to the legs of the stove. a sensible design. On the Kifaru one, it uses the oval Ti sheet "wall" as the load bearer - there is just no comparison. It also appears that the Wifi stove uses a thicker top plate, although I can't confirm this directly as I haven't seen either in the flesh.

I have owned and used the Kifaru medium SS box stove, and the medium and large Seekoutside box stove, and both worked well. The SO stove is a better design in my opinion, as the airholes in the front plate are at the base of the plate, so it draws better. Both can be a bit fiddly to put together, but only takes a couple of minutes so not too bad. I do prefer the Kifaru collar to that of the SO, as the K one folds flat, whereas the SO one doesn't. The Kifaru also - again in my opinion - has a better spark arrestor design, although neither has ever burned holes via chimney sparks in my silnylon tipis. You can also use one of the K spark arrestors as a damper by replacing with a tin lid - just be careful you don't completely block off the chimney which could have fatal effects!

If I was buying a new Ti stove today, I'd probably go for the TiGoat one, all things being equal. The Hillpeople Shepherd would have given it a run for my cash, as it is a superb design, but it looks as if it is no longer available) However, my current Large SO stove does the job just fine. (Great in my SO 8-man, but a bit too much for my SO LBO setup!) The FourDog Ti stove looks impressive, but is very expensive and doesn't fold flat. And I also prefer the roll-up chimneys used by SO/TiGoat and Kifaru, although I don't much like the fiddly fastenings using ss wire on the latest Kifaru stuff. An unnecessary complication in my humble opinion, and much more likely to result in cuts to hands from the extremely sharp edges of the Ti stovepipe.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Informative post that andy thanks

I'v only just started looking seriously at these stoves. For some reason i'd kinda bypassed the wifi stove earlier but looking again it seems to have a few things going for it over the others
Stronger than kifaru, I agree it seems to have a thicker top plate. And seems a more polished design than seek outside

murdo, sorry mate, I'm highjacking you're thread a bit here

......adam

Murdo

May 18, 2010
N Wales
No apologies...great info here...thanks Andy.

I think I'll have to bite bullet at get a Wifi.

Going to see if friends other half will bring over for me. he occasionally works in the States.
In meantime, I've written to them and asked if they have a UK distributor...apparently there was several years ago. I'll let you know.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Aye keep us informed please mate

After last nights research the wifi has crept into first on my list....no idea why I discounted it first time round

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, I guess I should chip in here, as I have a wifi..:)

If you get one, you should also get some fine aluminium wire modelling mesh, an A4 sheet off ebay is cheap enough, and cut a small square to go behind the 'front door' and also roll a sheet up into a tube, so its the same diameter as your flue, and stick it in the top of your flue.
Sparks can and do fly out, and I've had a few small holes in my silnylon golite tipi.

Murdo

May 18, 2010
N Wales
Thanks Dave...spark-avoidance is a priority!!!! Are you pleased with your stove...and what size did you go for...and what size is your tent :) I see you have a Canoe...that's what we are wanting to use our set up for...canoe adventures :)
Are you are at the Big Meet Bala...?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
TiGoat sell a spark arrestor for the Wifi for $10, which fits into the base of the stovepipe over the damper. http://www.titaniumgoat.com/pipe-parts.html http://www.titaniumgoat.com/files/SSCN0950.JPG http://www.titaniumgoat.com/images/pipe-cut-away.jpg

For some reason they don't think it's necessary, but supply them anyway. But I wouldn't have a stove in any of my tipis without a spark arrestor at the base of the stovepipe. So far - with spark arrestors - I've never had a spark-burn hole in any of them.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks Dave...spark-avoidance is a priority!!!! Are you pleased with your stove...and what size did you go for...and what size is your tent :) I see you have a Canoe...that's what we are wanting to use our set up for...canoe adventures :)
Are you are at the Big Meet Bala...?

Top of my head couldnt tell you whether i got the big or small. I think there was only a couple of inches difference. This is it next to a snowpeak 700 mug. Think it might be the small one.

attachment.php

Im pleased with it, yes, in my golite sl5. I might have prefered something else in another tent. I got it because its light and easily goes in a rucksack.

The shepered one you linked is a kni-co, I had one of those. Nice stoves. I wouldnt use it in a golite SL5 though. It'd be overkill. Ive had other stoves as well.

I'd match the stove to the tent.

My requirements were to get the lightest stove, in the lightest tent. For a rucksack. The plan was to use it to dry clothing in the tent, or remove frost, or have it on for a hour or two, before I slept.
Because the GL SL5 doesnt touch the ground, there would be ample air circulation, so am not bothered about carbon monoxide, as its unsealed. [I think only fourdogs claim a sealed stove?]

If it was a bigger stove, in a tipi without dedicated ventilation, I'd have thought twice.

I would say that the lightness of the wifi means that there have been compromises in the design, like the damper for instance, [the front door] is just a bit of titanium, which hangs on a hook with three holes in it. Whereas the damper on something like a kni-co stove is a lot more complex.

I had the spark arrestor fitted, and was dozing in it, so didnt see where the sparks came from. There were three very small holes next to each other at the apex of the tipi, [smaller than a match head] and one hole in a wall panel. About the size of a match head.

I think that the spark hole in the wall panel may have shot out of one of the three holes in the damper. [the front door bit]

Theres no way a spark could come out of the damper in a kni-co, but my little home made fix of the aluminium mesh behind that front door, has fixed the issue.

The roll up flues, i was always dubious about them, but was completely converted. I'd say now theyre actually better than flue sections you stick together.

If lightness is one of your priorities, dont let the mesh thing put you off. You might feel like you expect a complete package and your not getting your moneys worth by having to do a bit of DIY.

But tinkering with a bit of kit from a cottage manufacturer is pretty normal.

No plans to go to bala sorry! If we ever meet bump into each other though, youre welcome to have look at it. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE