Tips for wild-camping in the Netherlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Is this a NO-GO question on a UK site? :confused:

I am planning on spending a june weekend walking in the forrests and am looking for a nice place where I could spend some nights inside one.

Any tips / experiences are welcome.

Bob

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
you can check out the site from staatsbosbeheer. They have 'paalkampeerplaatsen' all over the country, but most are in noord brabant. these are little fields of grass with a waterpump. only a few tents fit there and you are allowed there for just 1 night. No access by car. and other facilities but the waterpump. you still have to treat the water before using it. I have never used them, but I came across them a few weeks ago. So I have no clue what the sites are like. They might be trashed or something by local youth, but I think they might nice since they should be away from towns and cities.

I hope this gives you any help.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
BobFromHolland said:
Is this a NO-GO question on a UK site? :confused:

I am planning on spending a june weekend walking in the forrests and am looking for a nice place where I could spend some nights inside one.

Any tips / experiences are welcome.

Bob

Bob,
I do not find it's a no-go question because it's a UK site. This is a valid question for everyone who wants to go out and camp / bushcraft in NL. Just as there were questions about Germany and (?) Slovakia a few weeks a go.

You must bear in mind though that wild camping in NL is prohibited (normally stated in local rules & regulations, such as Algemene Plaatselijke Verordening - APV).
As wild camping is prohibited in NL, we can't give tips on the subject on ;) the forum, as it would breach forum rules.

I would go for Joeri's option as it is the only legal option (besides asking a landowner) you've got overhere. Although you could go for an ordinary camping with showers, toilets, camp store, parking lot, swimming pool, etc. :cool: :rolleyes: ;)
More info: here

EDIT: If you decide to go to a Paalkampeerplaats, I suggest you go to the ones near Breda. If you have a look at link I gave you above you'll find more info about them. The Breda ones (of the top of my head about 4-5 locations, which are on walking distance from each other) are on a map (type and number on the website) - the map is available at Donner (bookshop), in the basement - at the back, in Rotterdam for aprx. 5-7 Euro.

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
Actually you're allowed to stay there for three days maximum.
http://www.staatsbosbeheer.nl/doen/opvakantie/kamperen/lijst.asp?ATY_ID=20&id={56BB5946-471A-444B-B6D5-E4AA5B4B6B0A}
Added this link as it might be easier for non-cloggy's to read, no offence Ahjno :)
There's a whole list of them on this link and they are the only places in Holland for wild camping. Last year I've spoken with the forester about them and dogs are allowed too but only on a lead.
They're not reachable by car but there's always a carpark nearby and a short walk should get you there. Camping is within 10 meteres of the waterpump. The water from the pump is suitable for washing etc but they don't regard it as drinkwater. Well, we all filter or boil the water anyway so who cares?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Christy said:
Actually you're allowed to stay there for three days maximum.
http://www.staatsbosbeheer.nl/doen/opvakantie/kamperen/lijst.asp?ATY_ID=20&id={56BB5946-471A-444B-B6D5-E4AA5B4B6B0A}
Added this link as it might be easier for non-cloggy's to read, no offence Ahjno :)
There's a whole list of them on this link and they are the only places in Holland for wild camping. Last year I've spoken with the forester about them and dogs are allowed too but only on a lead.
They're not reachable by car but there's always a carpark nearby and a short walk should get you there. Camping is within 10 meteres of the waterpump. The water from the pump is suitable for washing etc but they don't regard it as drinkwater. Well, we all filter or boil the water anyway so who cares?

No worries, I'm very easy going, thought you should know that by now :nana:

The more direct link should read: http://www.staatsbosbeheer.nl/doen/opvakantie/kamperen/
Select: Paalkamperen

Link provided doesn't work as hyperlink, unless you copy / paste (and we're lazy, we rather click, don't we?).

It's still in Dutch though :lmao:

Rules also allow a maximum of 3 tents - do basha's & hammocks count as tents? What if you camp at 10.5 meters from the pump ... ;)

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Hey these are great tips!
:You_Rock_ :headbang:
I never heard of those 'paalkampeerplaatsen' I guess this is next to the most ideal thing there is for a weekend walk in the forrests.

I will find out what it's like and provide feedback about my experiences.

I know EXTRA survival and bushcraft school (http://www.extrasurvival.nl/) organise courses near Vledder in Drenthe that involve open fire in a Dutch forrest, but they will probably own the land or have permission.

It would be nice to be in that situation...

Thanks again, Bob

Christy

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2006
Lowlands
Ahjno said:
Rules also allow a maximum of 3 tents - do basha's & hammocks count as tents? What if you camp at 10.5 meters from the pump ... ;)

WHAT??? 10.5 meters from the pump? Not a chance matey, you're barred! :lmao:
There's probably a forester with a measuring tape making sure you stick to the rules. Punchclock stuck to the pump to make sure you check out after 72 hours!
This is Holland good man, no civil disobedience here hahahaha
ps there are no loos so make sure to bring a shovel!

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I guess one could also move the pump, so the three campers that were there before you are well out of the 10 metre zone and will be haunted away by the park ranger. :D

Ahjno, you referred to the Breda 'paalkampeerplaatsen'. Any particular reason for that except that the are on the map you've mentioned? Did you visit them by any chance?

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i have only visited a paalcaming once and found a broken waterpump, being close to a road with many people using it, lots of fires been made (which is illegal) and lots of falling apart structures. ANybody found a beter one? the one i'm talking about is in leidschendamseveen (or something).

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been once to one, and plan to go to one in the near future to do a dry run before I'm off to the UK.
It was one near Breda, hence my advice to go to one off those, as it looked good at that time. Nothing near as what Tjin describes. Other positive on it is that it's near Rotterdam (If needed you can walk it from the trainstation, although I had a lift at that time).

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
I am kind of confused here. The once around Breda are near rotterdam? Or you mean one close to rotterdam central station? If there is one walkable from rotterdam central station I am very anxious to hear where it is exactly...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Joeri said:
I am kind of confused here. The once around Breda are near rotterdam? Or you mean one close to rotterdam central station?

:confused:
The spots around Breda are near Breda, no way near Rotterdam. I meant it's easy to get there from Rotterdam (where both Bob and I live).

If there is one walkable from rotterdam central station I am very anxious to hear where it is exactly...

No ... not one I'm aware of ... :lmao:

What I meant by
me said:
Other positive on it is that it's near Rotterdam (If needed you can walk it from the trainstation, ... ).
was Breda is near Rotterdam. Either by car or train. You can walk it (to the camping spots) from Breda station.

Hope this cleared your confusion ;)

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
yeah ok... I thought you meant something like that. I would be very surprised if there would be any spot near r'dam central station, and yes I know I kind of sounded like some silly noknow, but I was just confused a bit. Good to know the spots are reachable from breda station. Do you know how long it would take from breda to those sites?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE