Tips for carving horn?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
I've just got hold of a piece of buffalo horn and, never having worked with horn before, I'm looking for any tips or suggestions regarding carving it. I know there are a couple of points on carving horn in this thread, but I thought it would be worth asking again in case anyone has any other tips they could give me. :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
If its the Indian Waterbuffalo Horn you get at craft fairs then I've used it to re-scale a couple of Swiss Army Knives and an old folder.
I cut it with a hacksaw, shape it with files and clean it up with sand/emery/wet & dry paper before a final polish with cloth and t-cut. It will come up really nice if you take your time and work at it.
As you get towards the middle of the horn you might find a sort of grain and colour variation, which can look quite attractive.

Good luck with it.

Dave

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
jdlenton said:
what do you want to do with it ?got any design ideas? i could then try and dirtect you to a few techniques

James
Well I was thinking of making a walking stick handle, but then I saw this buffalo horn sling shot, so now I fancy attempting something similar... :D
MartiniDave said:
If its the Indian Waterbuffalo Horn you get at craft fairs then I've used it to re-scale a couple of Swiss Army Knives and an old folder.
I cut it with a hacksaw, shape it with files and clean it up with sand/emery/wet & dry paper before a final polish with cloth and t-cut. It will come up really nice if you take your time and work at it.
As you get towards the middle of the horn you might find a sort of grain and colour variation, which can look quite attractive.

Good luck with it.

Dave
Thanks for tips! It's looking a bit rough and skanky as it is now, so it'll be nice to see how it looks when it's all carved and polished up! :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Wenie,

I have found that if you overdo the polishing it dan end up looking like a lump of moulded plastic, so I tend to try to leave an imperfection here and there to give some character.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE