Tipi Skin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

GenghisChris

Hi all, another question here, does anyone know how native americans waterproofed their bison skins for use as Tipi canvas?

I've searched a lot of places with no result... does this mean they left them untreated? would the skin have been left as rawhide? or maybe brain tanned then waterproofed?

Surely they were treated in some way to waterproof them?

Thanks, Chris

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The Indians braintanned the hides used for their tipis. Braintanning does add some animal fats/oils to the final leather, but as far as I have heard they didn't add anything else to the hides. Now, the leather was smoked before being sewn up, and well smoked in use. Smoking a hide does add some water repelency, but also helps the leather remain pliable when it drys out.

Just some humble thoughts to share.

Mike Ameling

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Because of the steep pitch of a tipi, the cover doesn't actually need to be waterproof as such, as fair as I can remember. Certainly most modern tipis are covered with canvas - rot-proofed, but not waterproofed. I think... ;)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I can't imagine the canvas I used from the old scout tents is still waterproof. Some of the tents are 30yrs+ old....as has been mentioned by gregorarch, the steep pitch of the tent sheds most water....Even through all these fierce winds and rains, my tipi has remained sound and dry....

DSCF4733copy.jpg

B

brasst

as mentioned the angle makes the water shed easier but also the tension of the canvas ( hence you should never touch the inside of a canvas tent as it breaks the tension and allows water in )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE