Tipi Poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 14, 2013
Kent
Dear All;

I am currently building a Indian American tipi for some summer camping and fun for family / friends etc. the main body is made from sewn canvas , with the supports being from long thin softwood (about 12 poles, 2.5 - 3 inch wide, 5m long ish)

I am having great difficulty however locating a forest or land owner I can source the timber poles. Ideally I wanted to just come and cut down a few small trees myself.

Can anyone give me any advice where to source some suitable wood ?

Many thanks if you can help me in any way

Richard

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
What you need to find in a patch of Lodge Pole Pine that is close planted..........easy for to say living in the Pacific Northwest, but your local forestry may well have planted some. If there is a local close plant, you may be able to purchase thinnings...the less taper, the better the lodge pole. Years back, I did see a group of tipi's in the Netherlands that had bamboo for lodge poles, and that may well be easier to find in the UK.
Woody

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE