Tinder-Tube

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
...anyone tried one?

tindertube001.jpg

It's that brass tube thing in the above pic.

I came accross the concept a few days ago and am stunned by the simplicity.
Have a read...

tinder tube

I've not seen them mentioned here or anywhere else for that matter, but they work amazingly well. Anyone used one before?

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Not yet. But I've just placed an order with Jason for a couple of firesteels :eek:): I already have the charcloth, but i'd never seen the tape method before. Especially as the brass item is apparently is a cheap pipe from the plumbers supply shop.

Cheers,

Martin Porter

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
jakunen said:
looks like a slow match ferrule to me...:?:

Yeah, If you're into muzzleloaders or matchlock firearms it'll probably be familiar - but as an alternative to charcloth it's superb - I've just never seen or heard of anyone carrying one as a charcloth alternative and wondered if anyone has used one like this?

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I have a cigarette lighter that I bought in spain about 20 years ago that is essentially the same as the tinder tube. Main difference is it has a flint wheel (like on a bic lighter) on the side of the tube. Slide a little of the wick through and spin the wheel, shower of sparks hits the top of the tinder and gives an instant glowing ember. Unlike matches the harder the wind blows then the hotter the ember. I was told that it was for that reason that it was used by sailors and fishermen. It also came with a large hatpin type thing. Basically a metal ball about 8mm in diametre on the end of a pin about 3cm long that was bent into a hook. You use this to hook in to the wick about 2cm or 3cm down the tube. Then you can pull it out really easily and when you slide the wick back inside the top of the hatpin seals the tube and makes it go out almost instantly.

I reckon you could make up something similar really easily with a bit of tube some epoxy and the spark wheel from a lighter.

George

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've got a mate at work whos into reinactment, had a play with the lighting rope (or whatever you call it) that he lights his musket with, good stuff.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Lithril said:
I've got a mate at work whos into reinactment, had a play with the lighting rope (or whatever you call it) that he lights his musket with, good stuff.

They call it a slow match and the priciple is similar, though traditionally the musketeers slow match was soaked in saltpeter (potassium or sodium nitrate - a constituent of gunpowder), then dried, this made the rope burn evenly and readily, but quite quickly too. An oversaturated slow match would burn like a fuse (in fact I think that's how they made fuses.). The main difference here is the brass tube, which protects the delicate charred end of the rope, ready for lighting with a flint & steel.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I seem to recall that some years back,before disposable lighters were so available and cheap, prisoners used to use empty disposable lighters in which the gas compartment had been opened out from top to bottom and a length of old fashioned washing line type rope or rolled bedsheet threaded through to catch the spark from the flint. I don't have a photo, but dead simple to make and exactly the same principle really.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
beachlover said:
I seem to recall that some years back,before disposable lighters were so available and cheap, prisoners used to use empty disposable lighters in which the gas compartment had been opened out from top to bottom and a length of old fashioned washing line type rope or rolled bedsheet threaded through to catch the spark from the flint. I don't have a photo, but dead simple to make and exactly the same principle really.

The main difference between a slow match (aside from the saltpeter soak) and the tinder tube is the brass tube.

If you snuff out a burning rope by rubbing it on something, or pinching it, you destroy the delicate charred fibres. It's these delicate charred fibres which make the rope easy to relight with a flint and steel. If you rub them off, the rope will be almost impossible to relight with a flint and steel.

So extinguishing the rope, by pulling it into the brass tube (it stifles it of Oxygen), preserves the delicate charred end. It can then be carried around in your pocket or in your pack for days - when you want fire, those very delicate charred fibres are still there, just as if you've just put it out.

The burning rope thing has been around in various guises, but the key thing here, is something that can be lit easily with a flint and steel and that's where the brass tube makes all the difference.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I made a tinder tube last year from Copper pipe and cotton rope. It worked fine but the charred end is too delicate for my tastes. I beleive they used to light there clay pipes with a tinder tube as the rope fits nicely into the bowl. A nice novelty from past times but I wouldn't want to rely on it as my sole means of making fire. I much prefer char cloth with the flint and steel.

Just my opinion :wave:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Pick up almost any simple oil lamp and you'll find something like this in it - a brass ferrule that supports the wick and stops the flame consuming it too quickly. We have a ceramic bodied lamp in the bathroom, glass ones are commonplace etc.

The wick material in your photo looks very like the stuff used in hurricane lanterns or bigger oil lamps where the width gives a bigger flame and is wound up or down by turning a knob.

Good idea to use it for catching a spark :super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE