Tinder Pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Paul Holtom

I am thinking of making some leather tinder pouches and wondered what people think is the best size. I made up the bag below as a test and whilst it works very well wonder it is a bit big. It measures 5x9" by the way.

4167169856_29e2435a34_o.jpg

Or the same bag with top folded over.

4166465759_628e4e489a_o.jpg

Chrs

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Nice work! I'd say you could go with a 4x7" big bag. But then again, you can never have enough tinder ;)

Ishmael

May 4, 2009
Somewhere They Can't Find Me
Very nice craftsmanship, Paul. I have made two tinder pouches. The first one is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.

100_2814.jpg

I waterproofed it with Nikwax. I went out in the rain today and got pretty wet, hence the dark stain.

100_2817.jpg

It is only big enough to carry a fire steel, cotton wool and a tub of Vaseline.

The larger pouch I use on canoe trips, because size and weight are less of an issue.

100_2818.jpg

It can hold a fire steel, cotton wool, Vaseline, a stub of candle, matches, some newspaper, and small pieces of wood. I do like your tinder pouch, though. I think one of those could be my next project.

ragamuffin

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2009
plymouth
i made a tinder bag from an old army shirt pocket. i also made a gear pouch with a zip by folding the other pocket from the shirt and stitching it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE