Tinder Mull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been playing around with different tinders and have come up with a mix of powdered Chagga and powdered charcoal that works pretty well ... but wanted something a bit nicer than a plastic tub to carry it...
Inspired by the old Scottish Snuff Mulls, and the fact I had a nic bit of horn from my local junk stall on the market, I thought to make a Tinder Mull or Tinder Horn..
First I scraped and sanded the horn, cut of the tip and drilled it - the tip will become a toggle on a pouch :)
a stopper for the tip and a bigger stopper for the wide "refill" end were then shaped from scraps of firewood.
T get a really good fit the wide mouth of the horn was heated with a hot air gun (boiling water would also work) to soften it and the stopper fitted and left in place until the horn was cool.
The wood was oiled and the whole lot waxed - job done :)
P7130002.JPG P7130003.JPG P7130006.JPG P7130007.JPG

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
That looks good. I've got a bit of horn sitting in my garage waiting for me to do something with it. I might just steal your idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE