Tinde Gathering and Camp of Course!!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Folks, after a chat on the "Firecraft" Section about tinders, some good people on here showed an interest in obtaining some natural tinders to add to their collection that are not on their doorstep, we have a couple on Dartmoor, so decided to have a wander with my good pal Skate, and combine it with an overnighter, of course!

First up is Molinia Grass, which is lush and bright green in the summer months, but dies back in winter and makes an excellent tinder, next is what we call down here Old Mans Beard, a lichen that attaches itself to trees, mainly hawthorn but will only grow where there is nearly zero air pollution, so after a good old walk to a secret spot i know we started a gathering, we did not pull much off the trees,as it takes about 40 years to grow, still plenty on the ground.

I will deal with those interested in obtaining some on the other thread.

So then time to get set up, beautiful evening with amazing skies and an almost full moon, great lamb madras and all the trimmings, a few beers and a relaxing time around the fire, then for late supper we tried the tuna and toilet paper meal! It was delicious.

Soon it was time for me and Nutmeg to hit the sack, slept like babies, up early, quick brew, pack up and a lovely wander along the River Bovey, saw some interesting fungi.

All in all, a great trip out, thanks Skate.

Thanks for looking, as usual all comments/questions welcome, good or bad! (Mouse!)

Ivan...

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 001.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 002.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 003.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 004.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 005.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 006.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 007.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 008.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 009.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 010.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 012.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 013.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 014.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 015.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 016.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 017.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 018.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 019.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 020.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 021.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 022.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 023.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 024.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 025.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 026.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 027.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 028.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 029.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 030.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 031.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 032.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 034.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 035.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 036.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 037.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 038.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 039.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 040.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 041.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 042.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 043.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 044.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 045.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 046.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 047.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 048.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 049.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 051.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 052.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 053.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 054.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 055.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 059.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 060.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 061.jpg Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 062.jpg

Tinder Trip Alistair Dec 2013 063.jpg

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
There some boss pictures. It looks like you and Skate had a great time. What's in the tins on the branch Ivan? Is that what's on fire in the pic above em. Anyway great post. Would love any that's going spare. Bear me in mind please.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
There some boss pictures. It looks like you and Skate had a great time. What's in the tins on the branch Ivan? Is that what's on fire in the pic above em. Anyway great post. Would love any that's going spare. Bear me in mind please.

Hi Ammo, its a tin of tuna in oil, you just open it carefully, fold 3 sheets of toilet roll, place it on the top, let it soak the oil, light it, wait a bout 20 minutes or until the flames go out, peel off the loo roll and perfect tasting cooked tuna! No oil left either, and you can boil a brew on the top of the tin whilst it is burning.

And don't worry my friend you are on my tinder/christmas card list!!

Regards.

Ivan...

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
That's class. Honestly I've never heard of it before, is it an old military trick. Have a guess what me and my boys are having for supper tonight.Haha. it will only be in the garden, not the splendid surroundings you enjoyed but I've 3 boys under 8 they (and i), love stuff like this.
Thankyou Ivan, and you too Skate. Much appreciated.
Hi Ammo, its a tin of tuna in oil, you just open it carefully, fold 3 sheets of toilet roll, place it on the top, let it soak the oil, light it, wait a bout 20 minutes or until the flames go out, peel off the loo roll and perfect tasting cooked tuna! No oil left either, and you can boil a brew on the top of the tin whilst it is burning.

Regards.

Ivan...

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Thanks great mate for a lovely chilled time in one of your permissions and some lovely wanders. Couldn't think of anyone better to spend some blokey time with.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Great write up - thanks Ivan.
That's what I always thought old man's beard was. Glad to see there are still parts of our country without too much pollution for it to grow.
Glad that we were able to give you an excuse to go camping in December too!

1 shot willie

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2012
DEVON
Hi Ivan, Skate.

Nice trip out guys, like the shelters, very snug.
First time seeing the Tuna meal too, what a cool idea.
Some smashing pictures there.........and that was quite a pose there Skate, very vogue ;):D....................... and as for the flaxen haired pixie behind the rock......well........wont ask what you were doing :p

Thanks for sharing, nice post guys.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow - I thought we had Old Man's Beard over this way... but that is fantastic growth!
The oily fish trick is pretty good - The Irish Bushcraft Club showed us that one when we hosted them in West Wales.

If you make a small hole in the lid of the oily fish tin and insert some sort of wick you have a great candle/oil lamp - and can still eat the fish after it is burnt out :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Wow - I thought we had Old Man's Beard over this way... but that is fantastic growth!
The oily fish trick is pretty good - The Irish Bushcraft Club showed us that one when we hosted them in West Wales.

If you make a small hole in the lid of the oily fish tin and insert some sort of wick you have a great candle/oil lamp - and can still eat the fish after it is burnt out :)

Thanks John, for some reason had not thought of the trusty old mackerel tins, or the candle option.

We have loads of beard all over Dartmoor, but that is a very special spot, for some reason, it's in a hollow, constantly being attacked by the prevailing wind, but has a protective back drop of the ditch and a bank of hawthorn, also it would take some finding!

Ivan...

Oh yeah! Went to Endicotts on friday last week , and said i want some Fenna trousers please, Kev knew exactly what i mean't! Missus put them away for Chrismas!

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Regards.

Ivan...

:yikes:Crikey! Not heard of that tuna one, must give it a go. I was rather afraid to ask at first ...

We don't have Molinia hereabouts so would be grateful for a bit of that. I grow luzula (it grows a lot on Exmoor) and that dries out quite well although a water's edge plant. We have old man's beard and I grow clematis anyway so there's usually some fluff from the garden.

The camp looks good ... who's that gnome peering over a rock ??? And my favourite dog :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
:yikes:Crikey! Not heard of that tuna one, must give it a go. I was rather afraid to ask at first ...

We don't have Molinia hereabouts so would be grateful for a bit of that. I grow luzula (it grows a lot on Exmoor) and that dries out quite well although a water's edge plant. We have old man's beard and I grow clematis anyway so there's usually some fluff from the garden.

The camp looks good ... who's that gnome peering over a rock ??? And my favourite dog :)

Hi Elen, hope you are well, Gnomes they are all over the Moor! Nutmeg has had a ball recently, and i have decided to wrap your camping kettle in Molinia Grass, brilliant protection, also your owl hoot.

Love.

Ivan, Alison and Nutmeg xxx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE